Chapter 4: The Mission

EMMA'S POV

"Well, what are we gonna do now?" I asked Jacob and Az at lunch.

"What do you mean?" Az asked me.

"About the whole magical world thing. Slate Face is still out there, and he's probably going to come back and go after us again. Also, you were talking about those two other guys, and what if Slate Face is working for them?" I questioned, nibbling down on a couple chips.

"Well, we really should just wait for another attack. Nobody's in any immediate danger with Mr. Tholos here all the time," Jacob said, chomping down a piece of grilled chicken.

"What do you mean, Mr. Tholos?" I asked him.

"Well, Mr. Tholos is actually not...not a human. He's from the magical world. Jacob and I talked to him the other day, and although we're not so sure what type of creature he is, he's decided to settle down in the human world and take up a teaching position. But he's on our side. He'll protect us," Az said, taking a bite of his apple.

"But...he did say something a little concerning. He told us that there's been an uproar in the magical world. Lord Malice has been gathering an army of Nightmares, those creatures we told you about earlier. Nobody knows why exactly, but Mr. Tholos thinks that he's planning to invade the human world. And we think that Slate Face and Sir Slaughter are working with him," Jacob explained, gulping down a swig of orange juice.

"Then what do we do?!" I cried.

"We stop him. Most of the people in the magical world don't really care about the humans that much. So it's basically up to us to defeat an army of Nightmares, a cavalry force of Clattering Cadavers, a crazed Ironking, and whatever other creatures might attack us along the way. I think we can do it," Az said with a sarcastic smile.

"Alright, let's do this! So where do we start?" Jacob asked.

"First, we need to track down Slate Face. And I know exactly where his next target will be," Az said.

"The cemetery," we all said at the same time.

________________________________________________________________

SLATE FACE'S POV

I sat in the graveyard on top of the roof of a mausoleum. I was waiting patienty for the child to come. Azrael came here every day to talk with his ghost friends, and if I could intercept him...then it would all be over. The only other two magical creatures in the town would be the stupid teacher and the girl's werewolf friend. It would be easy enough to take them out.

After they were finished, I would just call in Sir Slaughter and Lord Malice, and then we would take over this town and expand outwards into the rest of the world.

The humans were doomed.