Chapter 19: Tech. vs. Nature

Second-to-last chapter, LET'S GO!

_________________________________________________________________________

AZ'S POV

"There they go!" Jacob cried as we raced through the scattered trees that grew out of the rock ground. Ahead of us, the ruined army as well as Sir Slaughter and Lord Malice were stepping out of a shadow portal.

We were at a rocky cliffside about 1 and a half miles away from the lake. I saw Lord Malice sit down on a rock. he looked really tired and worn out. Sir Slaughter stood over him, looking back and forth and he whirled his massive battleaxe. He was also armed to the teeth with daggers all around his belt and a small shield and a broadsword on his back. The Clattering Cadavers and the Nightmares were sitting down also.

Tessa and Emma ran up beside Jacob and I and flung out their hands. As if rehearsed, they each threw down a huge glowing green S-shaped rune on the ground. There was a ticking noise, and each of the runes exploded, throwing chunks of rock, bits of wood, and even Sir Slaughter high into the air. Sir Slaughter crashed into the ground with a thud. He got up, flexed, and roared at the top of his lungs in rage.

Whent he smoke from the explosions has cleared, the Nightmares and Cadavers had been completely blown up. Two huge craters were left in the ground, and Lord Malice was nowhere to be seen.

"He must have run away during the explosion! Don't worry about him now. Let's focus on Big Papa Knight here!" I said, lunging out of the trees and whirling my scythe.

Tessa launched a ball of red energy that hit Sir Slaughter in the head and stunned him. Emma shot him in the chest with a red rune needle and Jacob rushed at him, slamming into his chest and knocking him over. I rushed in, slashing with my scythe downwards at his head, but he rolled aside and my scythe clove into the ground, sticking there. Sir Slaughter attacked me again, and I wasn't going to bother trying to dig my scythe out, so I stepped back and made my sword materialize.

"You will all die!" Sir Slaughter yelled.

He came at us with his axe, swinging wildly and yelling at the top of his lungs. I ducked under a slash at my head and stabbed out. Sir Slaughter sidestepped my thrust and kicked me away. I rolled to minimize the damage, and I stood up, facing him again.

Emma had gotten into the fight now, but Sir Slaughter knocked her back with a hilt smash. Jacob stepped in, but Sir Slaughter brought his fist down on Jacob's head. I could hear a horrible crack, and I could tell that Jacob's skull was wounded horribly. Sir Slaughter raised his axe to decapitate Jacob, but suddenly Tessa had jumped onto his back, yanking the knight's neck back.

"Get off of me! You can't strangle me! I don't even breathe!" Sir Slaughter choked out.

"Maybe I don't have to strangle you!" Tessa cried, reaching down.

She grabbed one of the knives that was at Sir Slaughter's belt and brought it up with a flash. She drove it through the front of Sir Slaughter's neck, smashing through the armor and into the knight's neck. Sir Slaughter instantly stopped struggling and keeled over, landing beside Jacob, who was now back on his feet. He didn't move, and Jacob spit on him.

"Serves him right. Good job, baby," he said, nuzzling Tessa with his wolf snout.

Suddenly, there was a rustle from the woods, and Lord Malice stepped out. This time, he had turned into his regular teenage boy form. Emma started to go over to him, but she stopped. Lord Malice raised a hand and started to talk.

"So I see that you've killed Sir Slaughter. Good job, young ones. But it won't be enough. Now you'll have to go through me," he said.

__________________________________________________________________________

MR. THOLOS' POV

Slate Face staggered around, nearly falling into the lake as he crashed around. Solomon had bit down onto his leg, and he couldn't get the Ratchet Dog off. Suddenly, there was a horrible snap and a ripping sound. Solomon braced himself on the ground with all four legs, and twisted his head to the side. Slate Face's leg went flying away into the lake. I gave a little shudder of disgust.

"Oh, nasty!" Slick Vic said.

Slate Face collapsed with a groan. His glowing red eyes looked at us with hate, and he tried to swipe at us with his huge claws, but Ingrid froze his hands to the ground in a sheen of ice. His hands almost created ramps, and Slick Vic dashed up the ice, somehow keeping his balance. He kicked Slate Face under the chin, sending the Ironking's neck snapping back. That's when I came in, leaping as far as I could into the air and slashing my blades across Slate Face's neck.

This time it was his head that flew into the lake.

"Good work, team. Now, let's move. We need to grab the kids," I said, as the massive headless corpse smashed into the ground behind me.

They nodded, and we rushed off to help the kids.