Chapter 16: A Death in the Family

EMMA'S POV

The enemy army lined up in a pretty smart formation and began to advance on our house. They put the Kabaracc, Slate Face, Sir Slaughter, and Lord Malice in the center. Lord Malice was in the form of an 8-foot tall man made of pure shadow energy, with red eyes, and spiked projections like hair coming out of his head. The Clattering Cadavers lined up in their tight shield-wall phalanx formations towards the left of the army, and the seething mass of terrifying shadow Nightmares was on the right.

The only problem with the Cadavers' formation is that they were basically a moving target for Tessa and I. I gave her a nod, and she nodded back. We both cast an R-Bomb spell on the ground in front of the Cadavers. In case you don't remember, the R-Bomb is a huge explosive rune that can cause massive damage at close quarters. The R-bomb runes appeared on the ground in front of the phalanxes, and as the Cadavethe runes, they exploded, sending huge explosions of green light and fire into the air.

Skeletons scattered, falling by the dozens. About twenty came out of the twin explosions, still trying to advance through the smoke and dust. They ran directly into one of the three massive landmines Vic had planted in an arc shape in front of the house. The mine exploded, causing the front line of 5 Cadavers to explode. The remaining 15 skeletons stumbled around for a couple seconds, confused on what to do. Sir Slaughter waved a hand at them, and they retreated quickly.

Tessa, Vic, and I all cheered at our short little victory, but now the Nightmares were runing at the house, a living flood of black shadows and smoke. Lord Malice was at their head, and Sir Slaughter and Slate Face ran to either side of the army. The Kabaracc took up the rear, hulking along like a gigantic ape with its curtain of hair hanging over it skull-like mask.

Mr. Tholos, Solomon, Az, Slick Vic, and Jacob all ran in for close combat. Mr. Tholos crushed into the Nightmares, scattering them. Several Nightmares started to slash at him with their claws, but he swung his blades, dicing them up. Vic spiraled in, using nothing but his fists to battle, kicking and spinning like a blur as he took down Nightmare after Nightmare. , Solomon, Jacob and Az foguht back to back. Az swung his scythe back and forth in arcs, slicing waves of Nightmares to bits as Jacob and Solomon ripped them to shreds with their teeth and claws, scattering pieces of shadow energy into the air like paper.

They were fighting bravely, and Tessa and I were hurling spears of red and yellow energy at the Nightmares, but more kept coming. Malice was in the fray, waving his hands widly, and more and more Nightmares were rising up from the ground, coming out of the shadows that were cast al around. Sir Slaughter trundled into the fight, swinging his massive battleaxe at Slick Vic. Vic jumped back, and he and the huge knight circled each other warily.

Slate Face singled out Jacob, and he started to fire from his Desert Eagle. Jacob tore his way out of the fight, dodging the bullets, and ran at Slate Face, knocking the Ironking down. Slate Face drew out his pocketnife, and swiped at Jacob, creating a small gash on my friend's chest.

Jacob stumbled backwards, and Slate Face rose to his feet. Suddenly, the Kabaracc thundered into the fray, knocking Slate Face aside and picking up Jacob. It grabbed Jacob in two of its massive clawe hands and started to pull, intending to rip him in half.

"JACOB!" I screamed. I shot several blasts of light at the Kabaracc, but the creature's carpet of hair snapped out, deflecting each of my attacks. THe hair lifted, exposing the Kabaracc's terrible skull-mask.

Suddenly, a sheet of ice appeared across the Kabaracc's right leg. The Kabaracc stood there for a second, surprised. Suddenly, it dropped Jacob as both of its arms were frozen at the same time. It whirled around in confusion, but a final sheet of ice appeared over its face. A woman advanced on the Kabaracc, hands streaming with ice energy.

The ice woman had black hair, blue eyes, and she wore a purple shirt and jeans. She circled around to the front of the huge creature and fired a lance of ice at its frozen head, shattering the creature's face and killing it. The Kabaracc collapsed, narrowly missing Jacob and the mysterious new ice lady.

"Ingrid?! What are you doing here!" I heard Solomon cry.

"I...I came because I felt you guys in danger. It was almost like I had a connection to you guys, and I knew to come save you! Now, let's just finish this fight!" the ice lady cried as she blasted a Nightmare that was coming at her from the right.

"Guys, I'd like to introduce you to Icy Ingrid, the fourth member of our N.I.G.H.T. squadron! She's a Freezeframe, so she has ice powers. Az, watch your 6!" Solomon explained.

Tessa and I kept reinforcing the close-range fighters with blasts and rune magic, and we started to make a comeback. The Nightmares started to slow a bit, and they seemed to be getting smaller in numbers. Sir Slaughter and Slate Face pulled back to Lord Malice's side. Lord Malice's smoky, shadowy face was expressionless as this hapened. The Nightmares finally regrouped behind him, and the few remaining Clattering Cadavers gathered there too.

"So, it comes to this. I'll have to stop playing the silly game now, it would look like," Lord Malice said, raising one hand.

Az rushed at Lord Malice, scythe whirling. Lord Malice stepped in to meet him, and there was a bright flash of bright white light as Lord Malice slammed his hand into Az's chest. Blood sprayed everywhere, and I screamed. Az's cloak was supposed to block the attack, but it wasn't strong enough?! This couldn't be happening! When the light cleared, Lord Malice still stood there, and from his hand, a massive shadow spear extended.

And impaled clean through on the spear was Az.