Chapter 20: Se Ha Terminado (It is Ended)

EMMA'S POV

"Alright, we'll take you. We took Sir Slaughter and the others have probably taken out Slate Face by now! Az, take the left! Tessa and Emma, back us up!" Jacob said, darting forward.

Az whirled his scythe, coming at Lord Malice from the side while Jacob attacked him head-on. Lord Malice smiled and waved his hand. A sword made out of pure shadow energy materialized in the air. Lord Malice grabbed it in his human hand and slashed at Az, sending him leaping back to avoid the blow.

"Watch out!" Tessa cried.

I fired a blast of yellow rune energy at Lord Malice, but Lord Malice created a shadow shield in his other hand and blocked the attack. Jacob lunged at him, but Lord Malice blocked his attack with the shield and flung him back. Az tried to come at him again, but Lord Malice waved his sword. The air rippled like a pulse went through it, and Az was flung back.

"Az!" I yelled.

Tessa ran forwards, green energy streaming around her hands. She swung a fist at Lord Malice's head, but Lord Malice dodged the attack and stepped around her. Tessa stumbled around, and Lord Malice gave a laugh as he nudged her with his foot and sent her staggering forwards. Jacob roared and attacked, but Lord Malice threw him aside with his shield.

"Come on, witch girl! Is that the best you can do?!" Lord Malice cried.

Tessa spun around and faced Lord Malice. Jacob and I stepped to her side, protecting her. Lord Malice turned his back to us and started to walk away.

"Are you retreating?!" Jacob yelled.

"Tsk, tsk, tsk. Slash, slice, rip," Lord Malice said, waving around his sword in a series of apparently meaningless gestures.

"What is he talking -" Tessa started, before she collapsed to the ground.

"Tessa!" Jacob cried, but blood was spilling out from three sword slices across her body.

"I can hurt you without even touching you," Lord Malice said, whirling around with an evil grin.

"I'm going to KILL YOU!!!" Jacob roared.

Malice tossed his shield like a discus, and the shield flew through the air, smashing Jacob right in the head and knocking him over. Jacob fell to the ground and didn't move. I was the only one left.

"So come now, girl. You're the only one left, and you have no hope against me. Now, I gave you one chance to join me before. I'm going to give you another one. You're a brave, smart, fierce girl. Join me, and it will all be over. Join me, and your friends will be fine," Lord Malice said.

I thought it over carefully. Very carefully. On one side of my mind, I could see Az telling me not to go...On the other, I could see Malice beckoning me...I looked at Az, lying crumpled on a mound of rocks...Tessa in a pool of blood on the grass...Jacob, unconscious near Lord Malice's feet...Then I had a plan.

"I'll do it. I'll join you," I said.

Lord Malice smiled as I walked over to him. He held out his hand for me to shake. I gripped it...and as I did so, I planted an explosive rune on his palm. Lord Malice felt it, and his eyes widened in fear just as the rune exploded with a thunderous crash. He let out a horrible cry, and he clutched the stump of his arm in pain where his hand was blow off, dropping his sword as he did so.

"That was for trying to rape me!" I yelled over the sound of the Nightmare's screams.

I reached down and picked up his sword. Lord Malice looked at me, and this time his eyes displayed a mixture of anger, terror, and shock.

"Please, don't! I'll give you anything you want! Money, health, power!" Lord Malice groveled.

"I don't want any of those. And this is for my friends," I said, driving the sword down into Lord Malice's chest.

Shadow energy sprayed all around, and Lord Malice gave a horrible cry. His skin started to turn ebony black, drifting away as he slowly dissolved into black atoms. He cried out again, and finally, he exploded in a shower of shadow energy. I stood there for what must have been at least two or three minutes before I heard footsteps and heavy breathing in the trees behind me. I whirled, and saw Mr. Tholos and the rest of his squad.

They came through the trees, and instantly, Icy Ingrid saw what had happened. She threw down cocoons of ice on top of Az, Jacob, and Tessa. Mr. Tholos turned into his human form and rushed over, hugging me tight.

"Are you alright?" he asked after we separated.

"Yeah, I'm fine...but Malice isn't," I said. Mr. Tholos grinned widely, and Icy Ingrid came back over.

"Vic and Solomon are checking them up right now, but they should be fine," she said.

"Great. Well, we'll stay here until stuff happens, but until then, great job everyone!" Mr. Tholos said.

Abut a week later, Jacob, Tessa, Az, and I all sat inside my living room, the exact same one where Slate Face had attacked us at the very beginning of my involvement in the supernatural world. The TV was on in the background, and we were all talking quietly and everything was pretty much the same as it once was.

"Well, actually it's about time for me to go. My mom's gonna be mad if I get back late," Tessa said, looking at her watch.

"Alright, I'll walk you home. I'll leave you two alone," Jacob said with a wink at me and Az.

"Bye, guys. See you later," I said.

I walked them to the door and watched them go before closing the door and sitting back down next to Az, who almost instantly wrapped his arm around my shoulders.

"Is Jacob coming back?" Az asked.

"I doubt it," I said.

"Well then. Your parents are out also, sow e have about 10 minutes before they get back," Az said with a grin.

"10 minutes," I said.

"10 minutes," Az said, kissing me.