Chapter 18: The Beginning of the End

VIC'S POV

"Alright, have you seen a big army of monsters heading this direction? You couldn't have missed them. About twenty little Nightmares, ten Clattering Cadavers, and a couple other guys?" I asked the Demonic Dwarf that was standing in front of me.

We were at a remote farmhouse a little ways away from my house. The Demonic Dwarf lived here, and he had to have some information on Lord Malice and his cronies. The Dwarf stood there for a second, thinking. He wore farmer's overalls, a straw hat, and he had all red skin. His black hair stuck out from under his coat, and two small tusks jutted out from his bottom jaw. Every so often, flames would flicker around his head and torso.

"I did see a large bank of clouds moving awfully close to the ground, and some figures were walking inside it. They were headed for the lake due west," said the Demonic Dwarf.

"Malice must have thrown up a fog or some clouds to conceal his troops...Alright, thank you," I said. I walked back to the van swiftly.

_____________________________________________________________________________

JACOB'S POV

We advanced carefully over the short hill near the lake, being careful not to make so much noise. Mr. Tholos and Solomon were both in their human forms, sneaking quietly over the grass with the rest of our team. We reached the top of the hill and hid behind a large rock, looking down onto the lake.

The enemy was camped out there with the ruins of their army. Sir Slaughter, Slate Face, and Lord Malice were all in a sort of huddle, talking quietly as the rest of the army laid back on the yellowed grass and mud beside the lake. I picked up most of the words that were being said.

"...the Monster of all Monsters. At Death's Mouth. We can head there and try to bring it back. That's our only chance," Slate Face was saying.

"Indeed...if we can move quick enough, then we'll get away fromt hem. We'll leave back-" Sir Slaughter started, just as Mr. Tholos clenched his fist over his head. We all knew what that signal meant. Attack.

"Go!" I cried, r ushing down the hill and turning into my wolf form in midair. I gave a roar and ran for Lord Malice. Az skidded on the grass beside me, slicing a Nightmare's head off with his sword before we both attacked Lord Malice.

"Everyone out! Back! Slate Face, I leave this one to you!" Lord Malice said.

Lord Malice waved his hand, and a screen of shadow energy came between him and I. I snarled, and Az gave a frustrated sigh. Beyond the wall, Lord Malice opened up a shadow portal. His army quickly ran into it, and they disappeared with a loud bang and a flash of white light. Slate Face was the only one left, and he faced us down, not even bothering to take out his pistol or his pocketknife.

"Tessa, Az, Jacob, and Emma! You go on ahead and try to catch Lord Malice. I can sense him going south from here. We'll stay here and hold off this blighter!" Ingrid cried to us.

"Nobody's holding me off!" Slate Face roared, and his voice deepened and became more gravelly, losing its signature Texan accent.

Slate Face started to swell and grow in size. He burst out of his clothes, and plates of iron and stone fell over his body, forming a shell of armor. His top hat fell off, as his eyeless face grew in size. Deep within the pits where his eyes would have been, a red light began to glow. Two huge slabs of stone grew from his hands, and the now armored, 15-foot tall Slate Face gave a horrible roar.

"RUN! GO!" Mr. Tholos cried.

And with that, the four of us kids set off, leaving the others behind to deal with Slate Face.