Chapter 2: Night Infiltration

EMMA'S POV

I walked into my first period classroom, history with Mr. Tholos (a weird name, and Jacob would probably make some joke about it). A couple people were already there, first and foremost among them Az. Az was sitting in the back of the classroom, lazily drumming his fingers on the table and looking blankly forwards at the chalkboard. As I walked into the room, he glanced at me. I gave a smile and waved. He simply looked back at the blackboard and kept drumming his fingers.

Nobody was sitting with him, and everybody seemed to be staying away from him. I felt a little sorry for him, so I walked over and sat down beside him, putting my books down. There was a long silence for a minute as we both looked awkwardly at the blackboard, but then he looked over at me and gave a sigh.

"Why do you always insist on sitting beside me?" he asked, almost curiously.

"Well, you just seemed a little lonely and I decided that you could use some company. Jacob should be coming in a minute too, so I don't see why we can't all be friends. He seems to like you a lot, which is kinda weird for him," I said to him.

Suddenly, Mr. Tholos walked in. He was a tall, lanky African American man with neat black hair and an-old fashioned monocle around one eye. He looked a little disheveled, but he dropped his books down on the desk, unbuttoned his blazer and put it on the back of his chair, and sat down at his desk.

"Alright, children, settle down. 2...4...6...8...10, alright, it seems that we are all here...no wait. My class is supposed to have 11 children in it. Where's Jacob DeSanders?" he asked, looking aorund the room.

"He should be on his way shortly, Mr. Tholos!" I said.

Just then, Jacob stumbled into the room. He was breathing heavily as he walked in. Everyone looked at him, and he just shook his head and walked to the back of the classroom and sat down next to me. Az just gave a sorry little shake of his head at Jacob's condition.

"Where have you been, Mr. DeSanders? You're late," Mr. Tholos said, looking at Jacob.

"I had to do some stuff. Sorry about that," Jacob said.

"I'll let it slip today, but tomorrow you will not be so lucky. Alright, this is history class, as you all probably know well by now. I'm your teacher for the next year, Seth Tholos. If you don't feel like calling me by my last name, I will allow you to call me Seth. In history, we wil be starting the year off with a mythology study," Mr. Tholos said, getting up and scrawling "mythology" in big letters on the board.

As soon as he put that up there, he looked back at us, eyes flicking from Jacob, to me, and then to Az especially. Jacob and Az both nodded ever so slightly, but I hadn't the vaguest idea what they meant. Mr. Tholos smiled and went on with the lesson. It was going to be a long day.

_________________________________________________________________

After the long first day of school, we had all gone home, eager beyond belief to get back to our houses. Jacob, Az, and I had parted ways, and now I was at home, watching some TV in my living room. My mom was in the kitchen and my dad was in his bedroom, probably scratching his butt and watching TV also.

"Honey?" my mom called from the kitchen.

"Yeah!" I yelled back, pretty ticked off. Nobody interrupts my TV time.

"I need you to run some errands! We're out of lettuce and milk. Can you go down to the store and get some?" she asked. Ok, now I was really ticked.

"Can't you do it yourself!" I yelled.

"No! Just do it, or else you're not going to Jacob's house anytime soon!" she called back.

I sighed and got up from the couch. I turned off the TV, flung on my shoes and jacket really fast, and walked out the door into the cold winter air. I walked down the street, nearly freezing from the cold. Thankfully, it was a short walk.

It was dark, and I honestly was a little scared that someone would jump out and stab me or something. Worse, the walk would take me right by the cemetery, but I decided to brave the ghosts over the cold, and I sped up. I passed by the massive fenced cemetery, going as quickly as I could, but suddenly I heard something from inside it, beyond the fence.

It was a voice. More specifically, Az's voice.

Maybe he was there to give his prayers to somebody. I couldn't make out what he was saying, but I walked in anyways to see if I could give my condolences to anyone who he was mourning. I opened the gate to the cemetery and walked in.

Honestly, I was scared to death the moment I walked into the place. The tombstones seemed to be hiding...monster, or demons, or serial killers, or rapisits or...NO EMMA! You'r eletting your mind get ahold of you! I kept walking on and looked around, following the sound of Az's voice. Then I looked ahead and saw something horrifying.

Maybe it was just me being freaked out. Maybe it was Jacob's scary ghost stories. Maybe it was the expired milk that I'd mistankenly drunk this morning. But standing on a small hill in front of me with the Grim Reaper.

There on the hill was a skinny guy about the height of a young man. Around Jacob's height. He was dressed in all black robes, and in his hand he carried a scythe: a huge pole with a nasty curved blade at the end. His back was to me, so I couldn't see his face, but I panicked and screamed at the top of my lungs, probably waking up the whole town.

The Reaper whirled. I couldn't se his face, as it was under a hood. He raised a hand to his wrsit and touched his wrist. Something gold. And suddenly, he was gone. I looked around, but he wasn't there. Only Az was. Az was standing right where the Grim Reaper had been, and he ran towards me. His face looked urgent, but he was also looking a little concerned for me.

"Emma, are you alright? You look like you've seen a ghost," he said.

"I have. I could have sworn that I just saw the Grim Reaper standing there, right on that hill where you were. I guess...I guess Jacob's just been telling me too many scary stories," I said, trying to laugh it off.

"Alright, well, you need to go. Now," Az said, giving me a weak smile. Even though the smile was a little small, I still felt my heart beat a bit faster. He was really cute, even at night.

"Alright. I...I gues I'll see you tomorrow at school," I said, walking away.

"And Emma!" he called after me.

"Yeah?" I asked, turning back around.

"Don't come back here again. Stay out of this. There's stuff you shouldn't get into," Az said, turning away.

That was when I really started to get scared.