Part 55

Hours went by as everyone danced and made toasts to the twins. The room was full of cheers and laughter. As the music played on, Winifred asked Conner if she could have the next dance. 

    “I hope you are having a good time.”

    “Once I got past the shock and changed my clothes it’s been great.”

    “I’m glad. Your family has been planning this for a very long time. I’m just glad we were all successful in keeping it a secret for so long.”

    “Yes and very well I might say. We had no idea.”

    They danced in silence for a moment. 

    “Conner?”

    “Yes.”

    “Can I ask you a question?”

    “Of Course.”

    “Before the wedding…how did you know where to find me?”

    Conner took a deep breath and took a second to think.

    “I wasn’t sure you’d be there.”

    “But you had an idea that I might be there.”

    “Yes. While I was gone I use to come back and visit to check on Addison. It was hard being away from my family.”

    “I’m so sorry.”

    “It’s not your fault. If I wasn’t good with everything I wouldn’t be here.”

    “I’m glad you are.”

    “On one of my visits back to the house I caught your scent. I thought it was odd for you to be out alone. So I followed your trail. I found you in the cemetery sitting on the ground crying, just staring at your headstone. I stayed hidden in the woods. I wasn’t ready to come back. It was getting really dark and I almost came out to talk to you but you fell asleep. I picked you up and carried you back to the house. Again I wasn’t ready to come back so I laid you on the porch and after ringing the doorbell I just took off.”

    “So it was you!”

    “It was me.”

    “Does anyone else know?”

    “You are the only person I have told.”

    “Thank you again. You’ve saved me more than once. Please if there is anything I can do for you just ask.”

    “Just be happy. And make my brother forever happy.”

    “Done.”

    They laughed and finished out the song before going back to the table. Winnie gave Conner a kiss on the cheek before going to Reed. 

    “I see you and the birthday boy are doing well.”

    “Yes we are. You have an amazing brother.”

    “Oh I do? What is up with you two?”

    Winnie just grinned and kissed him. 

    “I’ll explain later.”