Part 35

For most of the family members the events of the night before were completely forgotten about, but not for Addison. She walked around the backyard alone, thinking about it. First there were the new and confusing feels she had. She couldn’t figure out how things had changed like this and so quickly. Yesterday when she woke to a new day she hated Andrew and this morning when she awoke from a dream he was all she could think about. She walked to the far corner of the yard and stood there looking out into the woods. In deep thought she was almost in tears. 

    “Addison?”

    She jumped at the sound of someone behind her. She hadn’t heard anyone walk up behind her. She spun around and shocked again to find Andrew standing there. 

    “Sorry I didn’t mean to scare you…this time.”

    He smiled and she felt her heart ache. He quickly saw the sadness in her eyes.

    “Are you alright?”

    Addison took in a deep breath.

    “I’m just fine thank you. Now please excuse me.”

    She started towards the house, hoping Conner wasn’t watching her at this moment. 

    “Wait!”

    Andrew reached out and grabbed her wrist. She let out a slight scream and pulled her hand away from him, but this reaction back fired. Andrew didn’t release his hold and she ended up pulling herself back closer to him. Andrew was confused by this. He now saw the pain on her face and let her go. He watched as she pulled her hands into her chest. That’s when he saw what was wrong. The sleeve of the arm he had grabbed had been pushed up and he now saw a bruise on her left wrist. Before she could turn away from him he grabbed her arm again. More gently this time, and moved the sleeves up. Both of her wrists were severally bruised. Addison just stared at the ground. 

    “I’m so sorry!”

    Addison pulled away from him and covered the bruises back up. 

    “Don’t worry about it. I’ve got it covered no one will know. So don’t worry about it.”

    “Addison…”

    He tilted her chin so he could see her face. 

    “I mean it. I’m truly sorry. I didn’t mean to hurt you. I was just…”

    “I said don’t worry about it!”

    The tears were about to fall from her eyes so she spun around and quickly started for the house. Andrew just stood there shocked. He couldn’t help but feel the pull to go after her. But what confused him even more was he couldn’t understand why. 

    “Wait!”

    She heard the whisper escape his mouth and slowly stopped. Apart of her told her to keep going towards the house but another part told her to turn around. Andrew saw her stop and watched as she just stood there. He was relieved to see her turn around and walk back to him. She slowly made her way back to Andrew without saying a word. As she just looked at him a tear finally slipped down her face. Andrew wiped the tear away.

    “I hope I am not the cause of this tear.”

    Addison said nothing in response. 

    “I guess you aren’t as strong as you appear.”

    He saw a flash of anger cross her face.

    “Not to say you are weak. Just if I had known I wouldn’t have teased you so.”

    “Why do you even care?”

    This time Andrew was silent. 

    “I mean to you I’m just some disgusting vampire girl who as you just pointed out isn’t as strong as you thought.”

    “That’s not true.”

    Addison finally looked him in the eye.

    “What isn’t true?”

    Andrew hesitated before answering. 

    “I was wrong, you are very strong. Now that I think about it. I mean you survived Conner leaving and you put up quite the fight yesterday in the woods.”

    Addison lowered her eyes and once again was staring at the ground. 

    “What I don’t understand are these tears now? I mean Conner is home, your family is together again and happy, there is no longer a hunter after your family…”

    When he mentioned the hunter part she shivered causing him to pause.

    “Is that it? Do you still fear me? I guess that’s reasonable, especially with your wrists…”

    He couldn’t bring himself to say what he had done to her. Another tear escaped and ran down her cheek. 

    “Addison I want you to know. I promised Winnie I would never harm your family. And I now make that same promise to you. I will never harm you or your family.”

    Addison took a deep breath and looked up at Andrew. She could see the confusion and conflict in his eyes.

    “Thank you, but I must confess that’s not the reason for my tears.”

    Andrew just looked at her even more confused.

    “When we got back yesterday, Conner and I had a talk. It was just something he said that has me in such a mood. Oh and I might mention he doesn’t believe our story so watch out.”

    With that last part Andrew saw a slight smile touch her lips. That’s where his eyes stayed and for the first time he suddenly understood the conflicted feelings inside of him. In that moment he wanted nothing but to kiss the lips he was staring at, but he stopped himself. 

    “What may I ask did he say to cause you such pain?”

    “Oh it was nothing, really.”

    “Nonsense if it has you crying. Does it have to do with yesterday?”

    “Kind of…”

    “Does it have to do with me?”

    Addison tried to look away but Andrew held her chin so she couldn‘t.

    “Please, if it does have something to do with me I want to fix it.”

    “There is nothing for you to fix. Conner hates you! I had to wear long sleeves today to hide my bruises. If Conner knew he would kill you in a heartbeat!” 

    “I can take care of myself thank you. But still tell me what he has said about me that would have you so upset?” 

    Again she tried to look away but was unable to. 

    “He said…he didn’t care what silly feelings I had for you I could never be with you.”

    She spoke so fast he was afraid he had misunderstood her. His chest grew heavy as he stared into her eyes. He pulled her close and held her.