Part 28

As the rest of Reed’s family got closer they suddenly heard Winnie’s scream. Knowing for sure they were heading in the right direction they sped up. When they arrived they were shocked at what they saw. Winnie sat on the ground surrounded by not one but three bodies. May shrieked in horror. Winnie was crying as she rested her hand on her brother. They found Reed bleeding from the throat unconscious. May and Love hurried to his aid. That’s when they recognized the third body. Addison screamed and ran and fell down next to Conner. Marcus knelled down next to Andrew, across from Winnie. She felt nothing but hatred and glared at him without a word. Marcus checked to see what was wrong with him. 

    “He’s been stabbed. There’s been a lot of bleeding.”

    Marcus held his breath; trying to hold back the desire to drink his blood.

    “I’m sorry Winnie, he’s not going to make it.”

    Winnie didn’t say a word just broke down into more sobbing tears. Then she took a deep breath and looked up at him.

    “What if he was bitten? Would that…you know save him?”

    “Winnie he is a hunter, trust me that’s the last thing he would want.”

    “I don’t care! I won’t let him die!”

    Winnie bent over and grabbed his wrist. She slowly bit into his arm and started drinking. The blood spilled out and dripped down her chin. She did the same thing to the other arm and then his throat. She couldn’t stop herself. The thirst for human blood was too much for her. 

    “Winifred stop!”

    When she heard his voice her head flew up. She stared at him, her eyes glowing their vibrant blue. They locked eyes; both sitting on the ground, a few feet apart, dripping with blood. She rushed to his side and he wrapped his arms around her. 

    Marcus carried Andrew and Gabe carried Conner back to the house. When they were in bed and resting everyone gathered in the living room. Besides Addison who wouldn’t leave Conner’s side. Marcus started the questioning.

    “Winnie do you remember anything?”

    “I remember sitting on the back porch, I was resting. I closed my eyes and next thing I know Andrew is giving me a shot. Then I passed out. I woke-up in the park. Andrew had Reed down on the ground with his knife at his throat. I was afraid he’d kill him so I was going to yell at him to stop, but then he was gone. I sat up to see what had happened. I saw Conner sitting on Andrew, stabbing him. I couldn’t believe what was happening. I got up and ran at Conner. I grabbed him by the arm and threw him up against the tree.”

    “So you did this to him?!?!”

    No one had noticed Addison standing at the bottom of the stairs. Winnie wiped the tears from her cheeks and looked up at her. 

    “Yes, but he was killing my brother. I had to stop him.”

    Addison looked down at the ground. 

    “I understand.”

    Without another word Addison turned and went back up stairs. Winnie just stared after her. She had been ready for screaming or a fight to the death but not this. Tears started streaming down her face again and May held her closer. 

    “I’m going to go sit with my brother, excuse me.”

    Winnie wiped the tears from her face and headed up stairs. She went into the spare room that Andrew was in and sat down next to him. An hour or so had past when Love knocked on the door before entering. 

    “You don’t have to sit with him the whole time. If you remember you were asleep for a good two or three days when you were bitten. He won’t even know if you were here or not. I think someone down the hall is waking up and I know he would love to see you.”

    Winnie looked down at Andrew. She felt torn. Part of her was afraid to leave Andrew’s side but the other half already running to be in Reed’s arms. Then she sighed. She knew Love was right. She lightly kissed him on the forehead before getting up to leave. 

    “You will tell me the second he wakes up if I’m not back.”

    “Of course.”

    Love gave her a hug before letting her pass. Winnie slowly walked to Reed’s bedroom. When she opened the door Reed laid on the bed looking up at her. When she saw him and that he really would be ok she couldn’t help but let the tears fall again. 

    “Winifred come here. What is all this? Why are you crying?”

    “I’m just so happy you’re ok. I was afraid you were going to die.”

    “I’m a vampire Winifred! It’s going to take a little bit more to kill me.”

    Winnie crawled into bed with him and cuddled up next to him. They wrapped their arms around each other. Winnie gasped.

    “Winnie, It’s nothing.”

    She ran her fingers across his neck; tracing a long raised scar. She laid her head on his chest. 

    “I’m so sorry.”

    “It’s not your fault.”

    “Reed, you almost died! None of this would have happened if it weren’t for me.”

    “If that’s how you look at it then it’s my fault. The first time I saw you I knew it was wrong to approach you but I couldn’t help myself.” 

    “I’m glad you did.”

    “So am I.” 

    Reed ran his fingers through her hair. She laid there with her eyes closed, at peace, if only for the moment. 

    “So tell me what’s happened since I passed out?”

    Winnie sat up and looked Reed in the eyes. When he saw the worry in her eyes he knew it wasn’t going to be good. 

    “Well Andrew had you on the ground but when he went to kill you Conner jumped on him and started…”

    “Wait! Conner? What’s Conner have to do with anything?”

    “I don’t know he just showed up out of no where.”

    “We’ll get to that later, continue.”

    “So Conner jumped on Andrew knocking him off you. That’s when Andrew cut you. You lost a lot of blood. Then Conner grabbed the knife and started stabbing Andrew. I couldn’t let him kill Andrew so I grabbed him and threw him. When everyone else showed up all three of you were unconscious.”

    “I bet that was a surprise.”

    “I couldn’t just let my brother bleed to death, and truthfully his blood was very luring. So I bit him.”

    “You did what!?!”

    “He’s my brother Reed! I had to safe him and that was the only way.”

    “Do you realize what you’ve done. He is a vampire hunter! When he realizes what you’ve done who knows what will happen!”