Part 6

Winnie rolled over and put her face into the pillow. She took in a deep breath. Her eyes flew open; she knew something wasn't right. The smell was familiar but it wasn't her bed. Terrified but cautious, she slowly raised her head and looked around the room. She was right; this wasn't her room.

"You're awake!"

She whipped her head around. She had not realized anyone else was in the room with her. When she saw who it was, calm and fear went through her.

"Reed? Where am I?"

He was now sitting on the edge of her bed, but no longer looking at her. She could only see the side of his face but could tell by the tension in his jaw that he was worried about something.

"What's wrong?"

"I'm so sorry."

He said it so softly she wasn't sure if he had said it or if she had imagined it. She started to sit up and felt a little light headed. He whipped around and laid her back down.

"Don't try and get up. You're still too weak, rest."

Complete terror covered her face and she felt like panicking. He looked her in the eye for the first time. They held each other there for a moment. She could see he was afraid too and upset. She felt so confused she was about to break out in tears.

"What's wrong?"

"Winifred, please calm down. I've been so worried but now that you are finally awake..."

"Finally awake? What does that mean?"

"Please! Calm down! It's just, well, you have been a sleep for a while."

Again he looked away and stared at the floor.

"How long?"

"Two days."

"WHAT?"

He turned back around to keep her from panicking and to keep her laying down.

"You'll be fine."

She saw him flinch when he said this.

"How? What happened? What's wrong with me? Why am I here? Where am I? My parents must be worried about me?"

She rambled on like this for a while. The whole time fighting to get up but not being able to get past Reed's arm pinning her down. When she finally quieted down and gave up he took in a deep breath and prepared himself to explain.

"I'm so sorry!"

"Why do you keep saying that? What did you do? Were we in a car accident?"

That was the last thing she could remember but doubted that was the issue. Plus she didn't seem to be injured in anyway except for her light headedness.

"No not exactly."

"What do you mean 'not exactly?'"

She was starting to get angry again.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean for this to happen."

"STOP saying that!"

He looked down again, wounded. When she saw this she felt bad.

"Ok, now I'm sorry. Please just explain to me what the hell is going on."

They were silent for a long time. Neither of them looking at each other or speaking a word. When she finally glanced in his direction he was like a statue sitting there.

"You don't have to worry about your parents we took care of it."

She didn't want to interrupt him again but the word we struck her hard.

"I'm scared. Please Reed tell me what's going on."

They were looking at each other again now, but this time it was Reed who was close to tears.

"I'm so sorry. I didn't want this for you. It's just I wasn't feeling well. I have been fighting myself and the others about this ever since I first met you. It's just Wednesday, you were so cute sleeping, all pure and innocent, and you smelled so good. I lost control, I'm so sorry!"

She was speechless from the questions and confusion running through her mind.

"What did you do?"

She said this so softly she didn't think he would hear her. She started to sit up again. This time he didn't touch her. She leaned up against the headboard, just a little light headed.

"There's no easy way to break this to you."

"What?"

"Wednesday..."

"Yeah?"

"Well we were driving down the road..."

"Yes Reed, I know this part!"

"Well you fell asleep and..."

He went silent again.

"Reed just tell me already!"

She was infuriated with him by this point.

"I killed you!"

The room went silent, it was after a few moments that she realized she was holding her breath. She took in a deep breath and burst out laughing.

"That's funny Reed. Now tell me the truth, because obviously I'm not dead."

This caught him off guard; screaming, crying, that he had expected but not laughter. He looked her straight in the eye. When she saw his cold expression she could tell he wasn't laughing.

"What do you mean you killed me?"

"Winifred there are some things about me that you don't know about."

"That's because whenever we talked you always avoided questions about you, but what does that have to do with anything?"

"I'm...we are vampires."

Silence.