Part 48

“That’s some interesting company you’re keeping outside. If I didn’t know better I’d think you were playing the wolf in sheep’s clothing.”

    “It’s been a long time. It’s so good to see you.”

    “What is it you want Andrew?”

    “I wanted to see you. I wanted to know if you were alright.”

    “Oh I see, now that the shoe is on the other foot you want to be buddies again.”  

  “Cara, you were one of my best friends. I felt horrible when we lost you. You always reminded me of my sister and I felt very protective of you.”

    “And yet when I was turned you would have killed me just like all the others would have.”

    “I don’t know. A year ago I would have said yes but when I saw my sister Winnie turned into a vampire things changed from that moment on. So if I had seen you after you had changed I may not have had it in me to kill you either.”

    Cara sat down and considered this.

    “I didn’t know about your sister. I didn’t know about you either until this morning when I heard through the grapevine that you were looking for me and running in vampire circles at that. It’s crazy isn’t it? To be one after all those years of hunting them.”

    “I guess when you’re around vampires so much even just hunting them we increase our chances of being turned. It took me months to move on from losing you. All the others didn’t care. They knew you were a vampire now and were ready to hunt you down too. Sometimes we would get into fights when they talked bad about you.”

    Cara sat in the chair watching Andrew as he confessed to her. 

    “I didn’t realize you took it so hard. I figured you were like all the others. When it happened I knew I had to run. I knew you all would come looking for me so I was careful not to go back to my usual places. I’m sure you also realize having been a hunter helps now that you are a vampire. Do they know?”

    “That I’m a vampire? I don’t know. I’m sure if they don’t know they are starting to ask around. I haven’t been seen or heard from since my change and we all know what that means.”

    “They’re going to come looking then. It’s probably not wise to be so close to home if you know what I mean.”

    “I know. I’ve mentioned it to Marcus and he said they would talk about it.”

    “So tell me what happened? How did you get turned and how did you end up with this group?

    “Long story short…my sister fell in love with one of them. He turned her. I hunted them down and my emotions got the better of me. I made mistakes and also took on too many on my own. Winnie turned me to save my life. She didn’t know I was a hunter.”

    “Wow. So where is she? I didn’t see her out there in the masses.”

    “Believe it or not she got married. They are on their honeymoon but should return tomorrow. I can’t wait for you to finally meet her. You two are so much a like and I’m sure you will be friends in no time. Except you are a lot more confident now.”

    “I had to learn on my own and fast. So why were you looking for me?”

    “Ever since I turned I thought about you and what had become of you. Now that we are both changed I was curious to find you. Then when I saw you in the door way I knew I was given a second chance. I was afraid to reach out for awhile because well I didn’t take to this new life well. I’ve been angry and hurt and very confused.”

    “So what changed?”

    Andrew didn’t answer right away but she saw a smile start to appear on his face.

    “Or should I say what is her name?”

    “Addison. We hated each other at first but couldn’t stay away either. When I’m with her I don’t feel bad or so confused.”

    “I never thought I’d see the day when Andrew Fairchild would fall in love.”

    “But she’s a vampire.”

    “I see. You can’t get past that even though you are one now too. I went through that myself. It’s rough to see them in a new light and know that it is ok to care for them. I went through a lot my first couple of months. You are lucky to have them to be there and help you through this. How did you do the first time you feed.”

    “I’ve never fed from a human.”

    “What?”

    “Marcus had blood donor bags for some reason and I use them. The only time I was entranced by fresh human blood once I realized what was happening I ran.”

    “You ran?”

    “Yeah, back here. No one really knows how I was able to.”

    “Impressive.”

    “I have to go explain everything to Addison before she goes crazy. Please say you’ll stay! At least stay long enough to meet Winnie.”

    “You said she is due back tomorrow?”

    “Yes”

    “Ok I’ll stay.