Chapter 19

Author's Note: This chapter has reverted back to Leah's POV. Happy Reading!

Credits to @edogawaconan222for the epic fight scene because I suck at writing them.

"What? Why?" I spluttered, staring at Mr Roberts. "Who wanted this to happen?" I asked, desperate.

"The Leader did, Spinnet. Now get out of my classroom, you piece of shite! I don't have to teach you anymore - do you know how that feels?" Mr Roberts retorted. Huffing, I trudged to the third block. It's back to the field, now. Why would Master Brite meddle with my life? It's not like I did anything to him -- Leonard. It hit me.

Leonard told on us. Leonard made me change classes. Leonard is the cause of all my problems. Leonard is a problem.

Standing at the back of the class, under the scorching sun, I grumbled. "Why in the world does Leonard have to be such a nuisance? He needs to learn to stop being such a pain in the neck - he's so selfis-" I started when the teacher interrupted me once she stood right in front of me. Oh no.

"I wouldn't finish that sentence if I were you, Spinnet," the teacher spat. "What was I saying just now? Since you're so talented at multitasking, I doubt you'll have a problem with this," she drawled sarcastically.

"Uh.. I.. uh..." I stuttered as the teacher glared at me. If looks could kill, I would have withered there and then.

"HOW DARE YOU DISRESPECT ME, SLAVE! A MONTHS' WORTH OF CLEANING MY OFFICE - DO YOU HEAR ME?" the teacher castigated.

Quaking in my shoes, I nodded vigorously as fear's wiry cold hands grabbed me. Storming back to her desk, the teacher continued her lesson, casting cursory glances of pure wrath at me.
                                                                                              ~
That particularly horrifying lesson ended, and it was time for our recess break. Just as I was scurrying to the canteen to serve food to the Masters, a boy stopped me. "Hey, I don't think muttering during lesson - that too about Leonard Canvas - wasn't very wise of you. After all, our teacher is his mother, Mrs Canvas," he commented, shrugging his shoulders. I was not expecting that.

Raising my eyebrow, I questioned, "Yes, I figured that out myself. But who are you to ask me that question?"

Holding out his hand to me, supposedly indicating that I ought to shake it, he introduced himself, "Spike. Spike Peizer. Nice to meet you, Leah Spinnet." Shaking his hand, the both of us briskly walked to the canteen, getting ready for our shift.

"So, I heard you were transferred to the normal class by the Leader himself. Is that true?" Spike asked as he put on his gloves. The Masters had begun streaming in and we Slaves had to serve them soon.

"Uh... yeah, sort of, I guess..." I muttered, not keen to look Spike in the eye. How does he know? Who told him?

"Huh, I never knew he'd stoop so low... I mean, coming down the ranks until Slaves who are school children? It's strange of him to meddle with such petty business, don't you think?" Spike remarked, scooping mashed potatoes for a Master.

"Are you saying I'm insignificant? Ouch..." I joked, ladling soup for another Master. Wow, he is pretty calculative. But why is he so interested in my problem?

"I'm not suggesting that, but he sure thinks you're not worth his time - and you can't deny that. Oh! I see why now - aren't you Thomas Brite's girlfriend?" Spike interrogated.

I felt something drop into the pit of my stomach. How does he know? My face was starting to turn a furious shade of red as I looked down and ladled more soup to another Master. That was when I caught a glance of that very Master. Thomas.

"Hey. Hey! Master Brite, isn't it?" Spike called out, waving his spoon in the air, earning irked glares from other Masters. What's wrong with him? How much nerve does he have? Has he forgotten the basic etiquette when communicating with a Master?

"It is, and I expect more respect from you, Slave," Thomas replied frigidly. I don't think that's Thomas. He's not this cold!  I frowned at Thomas. Thomas's eyes rested on mine and his gaze faltered. After looking down for a while, he shifted his gaze back to Kenji. "What's your name?" he question, although it sounded more like a demand. Thomas. Has. Never. Been. Like. This. Is this the other side of him?

However, Spike did not seem even a little daunted. Even if he was, his confident expression did not give it away. "Peizer." His voice dropped to a low tone, cold and deadly. The glare he shot towards Thomas was beyond menacing. I could see the scene that would happen in my head, but I was far too late to stop it.

In a split-second, Spike's fist had crushed Thomas's nose with a loud crack. I gasped. How could he? In one swift move, Spike jumped over the table and his other fist collided into Thomas's stomach. Moaning in pain, Thomas crashed to the ground, his knees having given way. The other female Masters were looking at one another and retreating from the scene while the male Masters were too stunned to move. My hands flew up to my mouth, which was wide agape. "No, Spike... stop," I whimpered.

Spike obviously couldn't hear my cries. He relentlessly hit Thomas while Thomas did not do anything to defend himself. But, why not? Groans escaped through the latter's bloodied lips while the former exclaimed in fury.

I began making my way towards them when some male Masters had come back to their senses and were rushing to help Thomas up. My heart was palpitating fast and hard. Just then, teachers were entering the scene to drag Spike away.

Spike spat, "Eat shite, fool," As, the teachers pulled him away, he turned and gave Thomas another bone-chilling glare before following the teachers.

I did nothing but stare.