Chapter 23

LEAH:
The number of days to the graduation party was getting smaller and smaller.  Spike and I were running out of time. As much as I trusted Spike, I was skeptical about whether his plan would work.

"When the Leader is giving his speech, we need to find a way to cut the chandelier hanging above him lose. That way, he would most probably be hit and have to be under medical observation for a considerable long time. Until then, either Robert or Thomad would lead the city. And I'm sure that the people would rather have one of them instead of the Leader to rule. So, we'd win!" Spike had said.

It had taken a considerable amount of effort to stop myself from stating the obvious  - that the plan wouldn't work. But after all, it was the best shot we had, and I did not have any other ideas.

Watching me carefully, Spike's face fell. "You don't think it'll work, do you?"

My heart began to beat erratically. Were my expressions so clearly etched on my face? "No, no, Spike! It's not that..." I trailed off. I don't want to hurt Spike - he's helped me so much! But, I just have my doubts...

"Leah..." Spike held my hand softly. "We'll find a way to make it work. I promise. We're not doing this for just us, we need to help all the Slaves! Trust me!" He said earnestly, his eyes searching for the trust in my own. With a faltering smile, I turned away.
"I trust you, Spike. But can we really do this?"

"With you, I can. With you, we can."

This time I looked into his eyes. "You really think so?"

His eyes shone with certainty, his jaw set. "Definitely, Leah Spinnet."
                                     ~
After some time, when school had ended, I waved goodbye to Spike, and made my way to the gate.

A tall silhouette loomed over me, and I sensed someone standing in front of me. Looking up cautiously, a familiar voice greeted me. "Hello, Leah. I thought I'd run into you here."
Robert Brite.

Looking down at my feet, I asked softly, "How may I be of assistance?" What could he possible want with me?

"It's about..." Robert trailed off. He looked around the courtyard, making sure no one was watching or eavesdropping. Taking a deep breath, he resumed, "Thomas. Thomas wants to speak to you."

Thomas? He wants to speak to me? Why? What's wrong?

"If you're agreeable to meeting him, I'll bring you to the Masters' side now," Robert had a small smile plastered on his face. "No one will know," he whispered assuringly.

Without hesitating at all, I looked up at Robert. "I'll talk to him."

THOMAS:
Pacing my room, I let out a groan as anticipation gnawed at my patience. How long does Robert need to come back?

Life was miserable, very miserable, when all I could do was stayed cooped up at home instead of going to school, avoiding my father. It's not as if that Peizer guy's going to punch me again! I'm sure he'll be strictly told to stay away.

Plonking onto my bed, I put my head in my hands. "When's Robert going to get back?" I muttered to myself, tears threatening to spill from my eyes.

Just then, I heard a knock at my door. My heart racing, I instantly looked up. The door opened slowly, just enough to let me see who stood there.

It was Leah.