Chapter 5

"Hurry along, now!" the guard growled at me. Taking a deep breath, I took a step. 

For the first time in my life, I had stepped into the Masters' side!

Skyscrapers towered over me. Huge mansions lined the road. People dressed to the nines dotted the pathways. I looked around in awe. So this is what the Masters' side looks like! 

"Look down, you filthy rat! Show us some respect, would you?" a woman barked at me. My face flushed red, I looked down at my shoes and followed the guard to Thomas's house. 

"Good afternoon, sir. I would like to speak to Mr. Thomas Brite, please?" the guard asked to a tall, balding man standing at a huge silver gate. He was dressed in a black and white suit with a grey checkered bow-tie. Scrutinising every inch of me, the man nodded slowly and went towards the house. There was an uncomfortable feeling in the pit of my stomach. 

After a while, I espied the balding man walking back to the gate with a familiar face. Thomas! My heart leapt. 

"Hi, Leah! Meet my butler, Edward," he introduced to me. Then, looking at the guard, he instructed, "You may go back to your patrol. Thanks for bringing Leah here." 

"O-of course, sir," the guard replied before swiveling around and marching towards the gate once again. Thomas led me towards his house - no, I should say mansion - and towards his room. He explained that his parents weren't home, it was just his brother and him. Well, being the leader  and his wife probably means that you'll be so busy and can never be home most of the time!

"You have a brother?" I blurted out unknowingly. Thomas looked at me and chuckled. "Of course I do! Haven't you heard of Robert Brite?" he asked me. Looking sheepish, I looked at the floor and nodded. I never thought he'd be your brother. You're so perfect, Robert doesn't have half of what you do! I covered my mouth. I did not want this thought to come out just like the previous one did. 

Thomas's room was big. No, that is an understatement. Thomas's room was huge. It was a mansion of it's own! Looking around in awe, my mouth was wide agape. Everything was either coated in gold or silver paint. Not only was the bed huge, but the furniture was also huge. My entire family - which consisted of four people - could live in there!

Thomas caught sight of my expression and turned slightly red. "Leah... I didn't mean to offend you or anything, I just... this is my room... I never wanted to seem like a show-" he began when I covered his mouth. I looked into his eyes and smiled. 

"I know you're not like that, Thomas. You've never wanted to hurt me or offend me. Why would I get mad at you for this?" I reassured. 

Avoiding my eyes, Thomas pushed my hand off and muttered, embarrassed, "You... you got mad at me the other day when I blurted out those hurtful things about Slaves..."

Sighing, I shook my head a smiled. "Thomas, sometimes you remind me of my own younger brother, Andrew, when he was a kid. You're so cute!" I exclaimed before I stopped. It was my turn to turn red. Smirking a bit, Thomas urged, "Continue." 

"Wha- ... What's in the past should be left in the past. Let's move on and start anew. Forgive and forget. All right?" I ended off after I regained my composure. 

"All right, then, Leah. Now that that's settled," Thomas began with a smirk - why does he keep smirking? - "shall we start on our project, my lady?" he asked teasingly. 

Giggling, I decided to play along. "Of course, my prince."