Chapter 15

"So... how did you come here?" I asked Thomas. He looked slightly uneasy as he kept walking in my shadow, trying his best not to get recognised by any of the Slaves. 

"I told Father that I had left something in school and was going to get it alone. I snuck through the bushes near the fence and came here," he explained, keeping his voice moderately low.

I nodded, and continued walking towards my house. "Are you all right, Leah?" Thomas asked, concern clear in his voice. 

I shrugged my shoulders. "I don't know... Everything's been moving very fast," I replied back, unsure. 

"It's a lot for you to handle. And it's all my fault," Thomas said, sounding slightly guilty. I instantly turned around. 

"No, it's not. It's your father's fault. He's just acting very stupid and it's about time he wakes up," I firmly stated, slightly shocked at the sternness in my voice. 

"You know, Leah. I've always admired you for your courage. That's just one of the reasons why I fell in love with you," Thomas began, moving closer to me. I stood stock still, unable to digest the information. Thomas loves me? Thomas placed his hand on my face, "Do you?" 

A sudden warmth spread inside me as a light blush rose to my cheeks. Thankfully, it was quite dark out and Thomas could not see it - even though he was so close to me. Smiling, I placed my right hand on his chest and wrapped my left arm around his neck. Tilting my neck slightly to the right, I rose my lips up to Thomas's and pressed them to his. 

Thomas seemed slightly shocked at my actions for about an instant. A few seconds later, he kissed me back. His hand slid from my face to my waist as his other arm pulled me closer to him. I slid my right hand to the back of his neck. 

About a minute later, I pulled back and gazed at Thomas. There were specks of green in his warm brown eyes. Suddenly, I could feel my neck getting hotter by the second and let go of him. I realised that Thomas was feeling the same way too. 

"You better get going, Leah. Your parents would be worried about you," Thomas finally broke the silence. 

"You too, don't you think you're taking too long to get something from school?" I teased. 

"See you at school, then," he chuckled. 

"See you too," I whispered into the night, watching him go towards the Master's side.