Chapter 11

My mind was in a whirl. 

Thomas... Thomas likes me? As a friend? Or... What did Robert mean? I... I'm so confused. Is Thomas in love with me? No, that can't be it. He keeps calling me his friend. Urgh, I am so lost! Why is life so complicated? I wish I can ask Thomas, but he can't talk to me... A flurry of thoughts took over my mind. 

I stood at the stove in the kitchen, next to Mother. We were cooking dinner. "Mum! I saw Leah talking to a boy after school! And he's a Master!" Andrew teased, smirking. Mother looked at Andrew. 

"Don't be silly, Andrew! A Master would never treat a Slave like that. It's a disgrace to them," Mother told him off. Then, she looked at me doubtfully. "Was he a Master, Leah?" she questioned. Glaring at Andrew, I resigned to my fate, sighed and nodded. 

Mother was clearly appalled. Her eyes wide, she asked, "And he was nice to you?" I nodded, once again. "Is he the only one who's nice to you?"

"No, Mum. His brother is my classmate. The both of them are nice to me," I explained. Why is Mother so worried?

"Are they the same people... who... injured you?" she asked quietly, eying the house, as if she was looking for someone who was overhearing our conversation. 

"Mum, yes and no. Their father injured me. The two of them are my friends. All right? Please leave me alone," I snapped. Leaving behind the half-cooked dinner, I went to my room. 

It was a shabby room. Much smaller than Thomas's. In fact, around twenty rooms that were around the same size as mine could fit his! Everything inside was old and ragged. Grey and smelly. I sat down on my awfully thin mattress, placing my hands on my face. Why is Mother so worried? It's not like Master Brite is out to kill me!

Just then, I heard a knock on the main door. Popping my head out of my room, I saw Mother's face ashen just as an intimidating figure stepped into the house. 

"Where's Leah Spinnet?" 

My heart stopped beating that very second.