Chapter 16

I could barely focus at school the next day. All that was on my mind was the kiss I had shared with Thomas the previous night. Sitting at the back of the class, all I could do was gaze at Thomas. I was zoning out and my eyes were glazed. How can Thomas act so normal even after last night? 

"Spinnet!" Mr Roberts yelled, jolting me out of my construction of castles in the air. "Spinnet!" he barked again. I instantly stood up, accidentally hitting my knee against the rusty table. "What did I just say?" Mr Roberts snarled. The entire class turned to look at me. 

"Uh... You said 'Spinnet, What did I just say'...?" I trailed off with a hint of 'doubt'. Mr Roberts's face turned as red as a tomato in anger. Everyone except him burst into laughter. 

"HOW DARE YOU TALK BACK TO ME, SPINNET?" Mr Roberts roared, droplets of his spit spewing out of his mouth. 

A sudden urge to be a little more mischievous nudged my conscience. "I wasn't talking back, Mr Roberts. I was stating the obvious, wasn't I?" I challenged, trying to hide a smirk. Steam was practically billowing out of Mr Roberts's ears and nose. He had clenched his fists. The class was clutching their stomachs, laughing very hard. 

"GET OUT!" Mr Roberts bellowed, slamming his hands on the teacher's table. Shook, I hastily stepped out of the class. Closing the classroom door behind me, I leaned against the door and laughed. After about a few more minutes of giggling at the incident just then, I calmed myself down and stared at the blank wall in front of me. 

This was the one funny thing that had happened in my life ever since Thomas entered it. Getting injured because of Master Brite, Andrew getting killed and many more unfortunate events just because of the unfair treatments Slaves received from Masters. It's not fair, but it's also not like we could do anything, anyways. 

A few minutes after my pensive reflection, I heard Mr Roberts yell again - Twice in ten minutes; it's a record! -  and the door opened to reveal Thomas. 

"Hey," he greeted. I smiled in return. "And... why are you outside?" I asked, returning to stare at the wall. Thomas laughed a little before answering. 

"I threw a crushed piece of paper at Mr Roberts. The fourth time I did it, he lost it and sent me out," he explained. I chuckled. "Why, though?" I asked, curious. He wouldn't do that for no reason. 

Thomas looked at me and smiled. "To be with you." I looked at my shoes, a slight smiled on my face, a light blush rising to my cheeks. 

"The past few days have been filled with a lot of uncertainty and loss for you, Leah. And I'm sorry about that. I don't think this is the best time to ask you this but..." Thomas trailed off.

My eyes widened. Could he be asking about...it? "But what, Thomas?" I asked, sounding a little too excited. 

Thomas looked into my eyes and asked, "Will you be my girlfriend?" Without waiting for my answer, he pulled me closer to him and pressed his lips to mine. Not hesitating at all, I kissed him back. 

I did not know how long it lasted for, but when we parted it was hasty. 

"Well, well, well... Look who we have here," a familiar voice drawled. 

Leonard.