Chapter 17

"So... the mighty Master Thomas Brite is in a relationship with the stupid Slave Spinnet. Sounds like a recipe for disaster, doesn't it?" Leonard sneered. His 'faithful' gang of cronies guffawed and jeered. 

Anger was bubbling in me. I was clenching my fist in hatred towards Leonard and his gang. My neck was heating up. I could sense Thomas tensing up and his face was twisted into a frown. "Leave us alone, Leonard," he ordered, his teeth gritted. 

"Leave us alone, Leonard!" Leonard repeated in a mocking tone. 

"I told you to leave, Leonard!" Thomas commanded, furious. He stepped towards Leonard. 

"What would you do if I didn't, Brite?" Leonard challenged, a smirk on his face. "I'd tell my father and he'd have to take action against you for violating the law regarding disrespect towards a member of the first family," Thomas stated, standing tall. 

Leonard was taken aback for a moment. As sudden as it was, he snapped out of it. "If I'm not wrong, you're not supposed to be talking to Spinnet, are you? So... by telling your father, he'd ask me for my recount... and... guess what? I'd just have to tell him about this, wouldn't I?" Leonard asked sarcastically. His gang laughed even louder than before. Uh oh. We both forgot about that. Thomas and I stood there, mouths wide agape. 

"This is all my fault," I said before walking away. "No, stop right there!" Thomas instructed. As per what I had been taught, I stopped. 

The word of a Master should never be disobeyed. The first rule we Slaves learnt. 

"Oh, no no no! I didn't mean it that way! Leah just... just leave if you want to. All right? I don't care if I need to face my father, Leonard. Go ahead and tell him whatever you want. I don't care," Thomas cried. 

I did not stop to listen to what else he said. I had already left.