Chapter 28 ☁︎ Explosions Meet Storms

━━━AHOY! I'm worried this isn't accurate. Writing is hard. On the bright side, my history lesson is about mercenaries! :))

☁︎ CHAPTER 28 ☁︎

The match between Bakugou and Kirishima continued to drag on for quite a while before the end drew near. It was enlightening to see Bakugou forced to stay on the defensive against Kirishima's barrage of blows. Explosions, as it turned out, had minimal effect on Kirishima's quirk. But eventually the end drew near. The next time Bakugou counter attacked, the blasts began to have their desired effect; it was small but definitely noticeable to an opponent like Bakugou.

"You've been straining to keep your body rock hard this whole fight, right?" Bakugou asked. "But that means you're overusing your quirk, and sooner or later you'll fall apart!"

Dealana watched in awe—she'd admit it—as Bakugou unleashed explosion after explosion in rapid-fire succession. His maneuver ultimately overwhelmed Kirishima and the blond claimed victory.

"There, now I understand why you were trying to avoid a drawn out match with me," Bakugou realized, coming to the same conclusion as quite a few intellectuals watching (Dealana included).

"Kirishima has been knocked out, Bakugou is the winner!"

("With that vicious bombing, Bakugou advances to the third round. Ladies and gentlemen, our final four!") Present Mic announced, drawing attention to the large screen. Pictures of Todoroki, Iida, Dealana, and Bakugou were promptly displayed as the crowds cheered in anticipation.

"You did say you wanted to fight against Bakugou," Kaminari pointed out to Dealana as she began to leave for one of the waiting rooms.

She turned to peer over her shoulder with a closed-eye grin, her sharp canines gleaming under the lights. "I know, it's exciting, isn't it?"

"I think we have different definitions of exciting," Sero sweatdropped.

While Iida and Todoroki's match was underway, Dealana observed from the entryway of the hall she'd head through for her own match afterward. She could have chosen to strategize in the waiting room but she wanted to see if Todoroki would be using his left side or if it was a one time thing spurred on by Midoriya's little motivational speech.

Even if Todoroki chose to stick with his promise of using only his ice for the remainder of the Sports Festival, Dealana knew that things would change for Todoroki after and she planned to be there to support him. It would be a struggle to suddenly start using the other half of his quirk, especially with fire being the opposite of the ice he had been using all this time; Dealana understood this and wanted to offer advice.

Todoroki started out with his previous tactic of an instant ice barrage as soon as Present Mic announced the match had started. However, Iida's engine quirk and previous knowledge from spectating Todoroki's previous matches gave him the advantage to evade the oncoming attack. It was smart and expected, but how long would Iida be able to keep it up?

"Recipro Burst!" Iida leapt over the ice attack in the same fashion he had with the fitness test standing long jump. With the power boost addition from his engines, Iida kicked at Todoroki only to have the latter dodge. But Iida wasn't giving up. As soon as his feet touched the ground he was off again, flipping around to kick at Todoroki again.

Dealana snickered as Todoroki was sent face first into the ground. Slightly worried for her fellow heterochromatic? Maybe. But Todoroki wasn't one to get hit that often by his classmates, even in training; like Bakugou forced into being defensive, it was a pleasant change to witness.