Set Things Right

Chapter Thirty Three

Scarlett descended her carriage and ran up the porch steps into the warmth safety of her home. The wind was an evil villain as it began to pick up pace while the temperature dropped harshly.

"Where on earth did you go?" her mother asked greeting her at the door.

"I'm sorry mother, the market was hectic and I lost track of time," she lied.

"There is dinner to be put on the table," she pointed out helping her with the basket.

"I came home as soon as I could. There wasn't much to salvage, everything is almost gone." Scarlett huffed out. She hurried to slip from her scarf and coat, hanging the material next to a few nails near the door.

"What is that you carry?" Her mother questioned; eyeing the large bundle inside the basket.

"Meat," Scarlett responded walking past her.

"Meat? Where did you afford enough to get meat?" Lady Worthington said, following after her into the kitchen.

"I saw him in the market...and he insisted on paying for it," Scarlett admitted placing the basket over the table

"Dathan?"

"Yes." Scarlett reached for a cloth shyly wrapping the apron around her waist.

"What did he say?"

"He was a gentleman we talked for a while as I did my shopping and then I came home." She honestly replied.

"It explains why you lost track of time." She mused, placing her hands on her hips.

"In a way." Scarlett replied with a faint smile on her lips. There was nothing that could rob her of the giddiness filling her heart. She was desperate for this week to come to an end.

"Whatever shall we do with such a great amount?" Lady Worthington said, her eyes took in the large quantity and a smile reached her lips. "Well then, I am glad the Worrall's are coming for a visit. It looks as if that boy really is determined to court Nichole."

"Yes, I am glad that she has found someone." Was all she could manage to say. After the conversation she and Dathan had shared, her thought's seems to cloud. She was beginning to let his words haunt her.

It wasn't healthy for her to think that way but how could she disregard such bold words. Scarlett shuttered inwardly and instead of thinking about any longer she chose to focused on preparing their meal. Her only hope was that Dathan was wrong somehow.

***

Dinner had been over and Scarlett sat in the living room with a belly full of well cooked meat and vegetables. Her father had insisted she tell him were she had gotten the money for it, but her mother had waved him away. She was glad for it too; she didn't want to talk about Dathan at the dinner table, for she was afraid what her family might have to say about him. She sat in the living room staring into the fireplace, wondering what Dathan might just be doing. Of course that was all she would think until she got to see him again and tell him the truth about everything.

She prepared herself for the worst, she really didn't know just how he might react to all of this, and she wondered if he would want her back after all. She didn't want to think negative, but all she could do was hope for the best. Across from her sat Nicole and Drake fiddling with each other's hands, she pointed to his palm as if telling his future, but Drakes eyes seemed to be glued to Scarlett's. She tried to ignore that he looked directly at her, as if not caring if Nicole would catch him. Feeling rather odd and angered, Scarlett stood and excused herself for the day.