The Encounter

Chapter Twenty One

His eyes lingered to the entrance as numerous invitees swarmed the front. Still he hoped to see her, to find some relief that she had decided to present herself. He felt his brow sweat for the hundredth time and with unsteady fingers, he snatched the handkerchief from his vest and dabbed at the stubborn sweat.

Distract yourself, for Christ sake! His mind cried out.

A butler walked by with a silver platter of crystal wine glasses and Dathan hastily snatched one before the man could pass him by. Taking a large swallow, he regretted the action as the bubbly silver liquid rushed its way down his throat. He coughed in response to the sizzling effect overpowering his throat. Embarrassed he dapped at his mouth and did the best he could to adjust his bow tie and coat.

You should realize by now that you are more than nervous you fool, his mind taunted.

His eyes then scanned the large room searching for any relative to talk with, anything to distract him from the dreaded door. Lastly, he spotted his cousin Matthew a few individuals away and approached him. Forcefully, he turned his back to the door and took a deep breath as he greeted his cousin.

"Has your wife fallen sick?" Matthew asked, an amused smirk on his lips.

"She resides with her mother, she has been the unlucky one to have fallen sick." He replied. His gut knotted again to confess that she was so very far away and his hand fisted around the glass in his hand.

"So then where is Lady Camille, although I wouldn't think she is much of one?" Matthew snickered.

"Who?" The mention of his former mistress was a fading memory and then it hit him as Matthew raised an eyebrow at him. His distraction was consuming his train of thought.

"Your Mistress of course...she's been telling everyone that you bedded her over the last three years you and Lady Scarlett had been married." He answered in a sly smile.

Dathan did no attempt to continue the conversation as he looked at Matthew with a glare. She was trying to bury him in front of his family. Little did she know that she was only placing a horrid reputation for herself. Inside he smiled; glad to know that she wasn't so bright after all.

"It's such a shame that a beautiful woman as she could not make you have the least interest in her?" he pestered, when Dathan didn't reply. "She's gone isn't she?"

The frown on his lips was Matthew's answer as he looked at Dathan overshadow his posture with embarrassment and shame. His eyes grew the slightest wide as he chuckled. No woman had ever made his cousin so vulnerable. Matthew continued with the questions while keeping his voice a hush amongst the Ladies. "Did she find this out herself or did Camille let her know?"

"She had known for a while."

"Why did you do it?" he then had to ask.

"Because I am a fool Matthew," Dathan harshly replied.

"Tell me you at least consummated the marriage?" Matthew whispered, slightly elbowing Dathan on his side. He flushed crimson red at his words and slightly pressed his lips averting his cousin's gaze. "What concern is it to you if I did or not?" he snapped.

"Clearly you did not, for you would not be acting so worked out about it, but what does it matter, if you did not bed her then she is of no interest to you is she?" he asked.

"Of course she is!" he hissed.

"I don't mean to pry but you deserve the consequences indeed, such beauty in your posession cousin and you did nothing." He muttered.