Punishment

~Chapter Seven~

She made her way out the kitchen after she and Sonia had had a little chat. Although she deeply appreciated her friend's advice, it was useless to attempt to steal a single glance from Dathan. Love wasn't conquered in a matter of days. It was not as if she really did want to win his heart. From the beginning of their marriage she had always managed to escape his attention. Why now more than ever would she even consider trying to win his favor?

Scarlett shuttered at the thought and hurried to flee into her garden, desperate to be away from the attention she clearly did not want. She was not certain if Dathan would call for the authorities now that his mother was there to pry the truth behind his accident. Maybe it was best if she fled. She stopped in her peruse and really reconsidered it. If she fled, she would seem guiltier than she already did. Shaking her head, she refused to think on it any further. She would face the consequences like a woman no matter what.

She acknowledged deep within herself that Dathan was anticipating the day to finally be rid of her. He did not love her and never would, not for all the money or lands in the world. Lady Camille was his wife to be all along, Scarlett had simply postponed that arrangement for almost three years.

"I am not certain the Master can see you at the time, he has fallen ill," came her Lady in waiting's voice. Turning took over her shoulder, an elderly man stood at the door with a brief case in hand. Curious Scarlett watched as the man shook his head and pushed his way inside.

"Nonsense he sent an urgent letter to my door step this morning and asked that I be at his estate the moment my schedule cleared." He argued.

Rose followed behind him as the man hurried up the flight of stairs. Scarlett followed as well, determined to see if this was the lawyer Dathan had been ranting on about. She reached the top and waited there to see what would happen. The man knocked on the wrong door and waited. Lady Heart with a rather harsh scorn opened the correct door. Rose timidly looked down to her feet as she introduced the man but was stopped by the bitter old woman.

"I'm sorry but my son is not seeing anyone at the moment." Lady Heart said sternly closing the door.

They both stood there mouth agape at her rude ness and made their way towards the stairs. Rose chattered on with the lawyer trying the best she could to offer her apology for the little occurrence not a few moment's ago. Scarlett approached them, shyly feeling all of her insides knot in little tiny prickly bonds.

"Are you the lawyer Sir Heart called for?" Scarlett asked. Rose smiled graciously and hurried down the steps to her duties, clearly fancying being in far proximity from all of the fuss.

"Yes, and I do not understand why he would call me so urgently and then have a door slammed in my face?" He replied. The anger that clearly showed on his face made beads of sweat develop on his shiny forehead and with a heavy sigh; he proceeded in descending the stairs.

"I am Sir Heart's wife and I was wondering if I could have a word with you," she said.

"Of course," he retorted. He carefully tucked his white handkerchief he had been dabbing his sweat with, into his coat and followed Lady Scarlett down the stairs ever so gradually.

"Do you have the documents?" she questioned.

"Yes, He had them sought out a long time ago, I was simply holding on to them until he requested them brought. I'm certain that you knew about all of this." He replied.

She nodded at his reply and led him towards the exit of their home.

"Are you agreeing to this divorce Lady Heart?" he asked now clearly curious.