Plead Bargin

Chapter Twenty Six

If she persisted to play the role of being stubborn then so would he, maybe this was all childish but somehow he didn't seem to care. She awaked a yearning in him that only she could tame and he was determined to make her see it. He nestled in his carriage for nearly an hour arguing with his own thoughts when a light rapping came. To his deep disappointment another young maiden stared at him as he pulled the small door open.

Her sister Mia stood with a slight scorn on her face. He could recall specifically the black hair, blue eye girl giving him a mouth full of her thought's the day they had arrived to his Manor. In fact they all had, so he wasn't surprised to see her with such a hateful look on her face.

"Scarlett shall not come to see you." she said, in a commanding tone.

"Then I shall wait until she decides to." Dathan protested.

"It would be a waste of your time to sit here thinking she will make up her mind and talk with you."

"I am here to inform you that your childish acts must come to an end, unless you want me to fetch my father." She threatened.

"Does it look like I'm in a position to care for your threats?" he challenged.

"You should, if you really love her you would gather yourself and leave, she has already gone through enough living with you, and know she still has to suffer at your hand while living away?" Mia hissed.

Dathan broke their challenging gaze and closed his eyes for a moment, he knew this was preposterous. He should follow her advice and leave but something nagged at him, was it his pride to have the upper hand? Or was it that his love for Scarlett kept him stuck here unable to move until she decided to hear him out? He decided then that it was a little of both as he let out a sigh and turned to look at her small glaring frame.

"I recognize that my past actions pushed me to take your dear sister for granted, but I assure you I am here to set things right. I do not want her to hate me for what I used to be. I am a changed man." He said.

"I think she knows that already. Do you want to know what she did last night, after we arrived from the carnival? I watched as she knelt in front of the fire and slowly but truly let every sketch of you be consumed by fire."

"Liar," Dathan muttered through gritted teeth.

"I am a lady and a respectful one for that matter, I do not lie. I have watched her cry over you for the last six months, and I have had enough of it. I don't know what you did to make her love you. Quite frankly, she should loathe the sight of you."

A leak of emotional pain showed as he knitted his brows together and clenched his jaw. Every one of her words was like a dagger slowly torturing his already broken heart.

"I will get her back." He managed to mutter.