Little Lies

Chapter Eleven

"She waltzes about the mansion as if it were her own. I grow tired of her smart remarks but what is one to do?" Bridget said. Her lips pressed into a thin line as a stubborn brown strand of her hair dangled out of her white bonnet. Bridget was only sixteen yet years of working for the higher class had matured her into almost a woman.

"Take little mind in whatever she says." Scarlett said with a confident smile.

Bridget sighed and bent to lift the white sheets from the hamper. "Really Miss Scarlett, and what am I to do about it all when you leave? She will become the evil queen of the castle once you have gone." She replied. She blew out an angered breath and went about placing the sheets over the hanger.

"Well, have you ever thought of looking for employment elsewhere?" Scarlett asked.

Bridget grew silent for a moment and then turned to look at Scarlett. Her eyes were a bright gray almost vibrant under the sun. She had a unique pinched nose and small lips. Her face was still round and rosy pink cheeks stood out from the contrast of the bonnet.

"Bridget has gotten an offer from Lady Heart, Matthew's mother I believe." Hanna said.

"Matthew's mother has offered to give you employment?" Scarlett asked.

Bridget shrugged and went about gathering the rest of the sheets in the hamper. Hanna laughed and nudged Scarlett on her arm. "She fancy's Matthew, if I were her I would not let an opportunity pass me by such as that one," Hanna replied.

"Really?" Scarlett said an amused smile crossing her lips. She had never given much thought to Matthew. He was a tall handsome man that had always treated Scarlett with respect. She didn't know much about him, only that Matthew was Dathan's right hand should anything occur.

"Will you two stop mucking about and help me finish this." Bridget growled, her cheeks tainted pink as she shook the sheets with force and then tossed them over the hanger.

Scarlett and Hanne burst into laughter to see how embarrassed Bridget felt by the mere mention of Matthew's name. "You know, he's not married nor engaged." Scarlett pointed out.

"I hear he's quite the gentleman and has even declined the most beautiful women in Harland because his heart lies elsewhere." Hanna chimed in.

"Then that means that he loves someone else, so what chance could I possibly have with a man like him. Might I add that I am only sixteen and he is twenty and two," Bridget argued.

"So there is a small age difference, what does it matter?" Scarlett argued.

"It matters, I mean I don't mean to be a prune but even if there was the slightest chance that Mat...Sir Heart saw an interest in me, my parents would never approve of it." She replied with a frown.

"And what is this all about?" Sonia asked.

"We were chatting about Matthew Heart, Bridget here fancy's him, but she believes that there is no chance in heaven that she would ever have the opportunity to win his heart." Hanna replied.

"Ah I see, and while you three lovely ladies spend your time chatting about men dinner time grows near." Sonia said with a smile.

Their faces paled once they realized it and they hurried to finish the laundry and scurry into the kitchen. Each prepared something different and while dinner began to cook all the Heart men began to fill the mansion. They had been long overdue to visit their cousin and on this day Matthew had come early to let Scarlett know they would be in that afternoon.

One by one they filled the living room area and the cloud of smoke began to fill the air. The maids ran about trying to assist the men and scurry off to finish dinner. Scarlett greeted the men and could not help but wander her eyes to where Matthew sat. He had of course bathed and now dressed in a fine white crisp shirt and clean pants.