Rejection

FAN BANNER BY MIDNIGHT DREAM.

~Chapter Fifteen~

Sleep was far from him. Dathan sat in bed failing miserably to find rest. His weary eyes searched the stars as he looked out the window. He stood, his legs feeling stronger than they ever had. Even the faint yellowish bruises had faded, he was as good as new. In his hands, the journal containing her thought's for another man seemed to grow a pulse. Dathan turned away from the window and took a seat on his bed.

The large poster bed felt empty and cold. His fingers undid the bow and as it came apart in his hand he felt suddenly overwhelmed to cry. What was the use in him reading on and making matters worse for him? Clearly, Scarlett was in love with this Victor Killian. So what was he to do about the way he felt for her? With a sigh he shut the small book and squeezed it between his hands.

His mind projected images of the handsome man Scarlett described in her confessions and his anger boiled over. He was angrier at himself over anything. How could he have been such a fool and allowed such a beautiful and breath taking woman slip through his fingers? His hands clutched tighter to the journal and in his jealousy he began to rip the book to shreds. He tossed it to the floor and covered his face feeling helpless.

"I've lost you." He whispered. His eyes looked to what he had done and Dathan felt even more a fool as he bent to pick up each piece. Opening a drawer he tossed everything inside and shut it.

His mind seemed to be preoccupied by one thought alone as he looked up to the grand immense ceiling of his chambers. Rare was the occasion when he was robbed of slumber, but tonight was different as he inhaled and exhaled almost as if being vigilant that he would miscue a breath. Why was this woman driving him over the brink? They had scarcely spoken more like argued every time they were around each other and when she was present he could not seem to make his mind function properly.

He shifted between the auburn colored sheets, laid from side to side and still his mind refused to doze. He lastly gave in to the battle and simply laid there looking at the empty side of the large bed. The atmosphere seemed to grow bitter as he reached over and touched the other end, wishing somehow to have some company, or rather hers. Now that everything was obvious to him he seemed troubled of his own thoughts.

*****

Bidding good night to all her friends, she hurried up the steps and into the privacy of her chambers. She quickly unclothed her body of the heavy dreaded clothes she so as much detested and attired herself into a light night gown covering the see through textile with a satin pink robe. Once her hair spilled free of the high erudite hair style, she lit the wick to a small white candle and stepped out of her room. Night time spread over the land bringing with it a cool gentle wind. Scarlett made her way downstairs, silently cooling the hot melted wax of the burning red candles with a soft blow from her lips.

When she finally reached Dathan's door, she blew out the candles on the outside and opened the door to bid him goodnight. Although they still had their awkward moments of silence between one another she was determined to make a friend out of him. As she stepped in she noticed the candle in his room was already blown out.

The room lay silent as the cool blue appearance gave her skin a small prickle all over. He exhaled and she froze as she watched him sit up to see her enter. Scarlett gently took a seat aside him and tried her best to make out his expression with the small candle in her hand.

"Is everything alright?" she asked a bit concerned.

"I am robbed of slumber." He replied in a gruff tone.

"Are you in any pain?" Scarlett searched his eyes.

"No." He replied with a faint shake of his head. She was far from knowing what was robbing him of sleep. His heart began to thump abnormally fast and Dathan felt short of breath when she reached to place a hand over his shoulder.