Apologies

Chapter Nine

Lady Heart seemed to be preoccupied ranting at Rose as she signaled with her pointer finger things Scarlett could not clearly hear. The air grew thick but she refused to let her negative thought's cloud her concentration as she descended the stairs ever so slowly. Lady Heart's stern look abruptly caught Scarlett's eye just as she approached both women. Silently and smoothly, Scarlett let out her breath ready to address her.

"How is my son?" she asked, the bitter snare never leaving her.

"Sleeping." she replied, with such assurance.

"Sleeping? Dathan has never slept during the day," she snipped, walking past Scarlett.

"I assure you that he is sleeping, your son needs to rest. He has been in great pain lately and has failed to get any slumber. It is a miracle that he has actually achieved to fall asleep." Scarlett called out after her.

The bitter old woman paused half way up the flight of stairs and turned over her shoulder to search Scarlett's eyes for any hint of a lie. And so, picking up her skirts she turned her attention fully unto her neglected daughter in law and said, "Well then, I will be in around dinner time to attend to him." With an arched eyebrow, Lady Heart descended the stairs her eyes never leaving that of Scarlett's. "See to it that he is fed, I assume under your watch he will be more than neglected." She scoffed.

Her rude remark held little effect on Scarlett as she watched her mother in law walk out the front door brushing past the lawyer without notice. The old man could not contain himself as he watched Lady Heart walk out the door with a glare to overshadow his expression.

"Good Evening, Sir....I actually failed to catch your name yesterday." Scarlett greeted.

"Evers." He replied, greeting her warmly. "How is your husband doing?"

"He has made some progress," she sighed clearly showing her frustration.

"I will be leaving the city for a few weeks, I deeply apologize for neglecting to mention it yesterday. Would this be a terrible moment to ask your husband and you to sign said doucuments?" he pondered.

"Why don't you leave the papers here and I'll make sure to place them in his study."

"Well, alright." he replied, not certain but still pulling them out of his brief case. "The moment that I arrive back to the City I will make sure to contact you first had and come over so that we can proceed with this divorce." He said.

"Thank you very much, Sir Evers." Scarlett said.

Once the old man left, she hurried up the stairs and left the documents on the cherry oak desk. Curiosity ate at her as she flipped through the fragile thin pages and finally reached the last sheet containing the two dotted lines where they were to sign. Scarlett bit her lip as she read every word. She was to get nothing out of the divorce.

The only things she would be allowed to take would be those she had first came home with. It was a pity for she had come to fancy many of the things she had grown accustom to. Granted that not many things caught her attention, but it still brought a terrible sadness over her. In the end she knew it was best to simply leave behind everything that would ever remind her of the depressing memories this home held for her.

Gathering the pages Scarlett made certain to place them in a drawer. Then her eyes caught a glimpse of a letter addressed to her husband; the sender no other that Lady Camille. Curiosity won her over and before she could stop, she reached in and retrieved it. She glanced towards the door and stopped to listen for anyone approaching. Taking a quiet seat when she heard no noise she gently and carefully pulled the letter from the envelope. Her throat felt tight and her chest felt a terrible guilt overcome her.