The Truth

Chapter Nineteen

She sighed in resentment and reached for the heavy gown. Her eyes observed the expensive royal blue dress as her mind persuaded to haunt her with the battle of, should she attend. She held it against her chest and sighed as her eyes slowly closed. Three light knocks invaded the sorrow suddenly welling up inside of her and she knew then that Sonia stood outside her chambers. They had decided on three knocks so that Sonia would make herself known and two if ever Dathan ventured close by.

"How are you doing?" Sonia whispered.

"Wonderful, there is something I've been meaning to ask of you." Scarlett said holding her dress.

"Very well." Sonia sighed, as she rested down on her bed.

"Will you do me the courtesy of attending the ball with me tomorrow?" she smiled.

Quickly sitting up Sonia looked at Scarlett surprised. "You want me to go with you?"

"Why not, I'm invited and I am entitled to bring whomever I desire," she replied.

"Who else would want to attend?" Sonia asked confused.

"Nigel, Bridget, Hanna." Scarlett blurted out smoothing out the bottom of her dress.

"Nigel, why would you ask him?" Sonia sat up and stared at Scarlett intently, trying to read her actions behind her words.

"You are sweet on him, and please do not try to deny it. I caught your blush the moment your eyes met," she confessed.

"We have shared but a few words to one another, but there is hardly any time to communicate." She confessed, biting down on her lip.

"Then take my invitation to the ball and attend with Nigel, take this time to get to know one another." Scarlett pressed.

"What on earth would I say? Nigel might not even be interested in me, and then everything will be for not," she whispered. Fear crossed Sonia's face as she stared down to her hands, twisting the apron in her fingers.

"He's going to love every moment shared with you because you are a wonderful person Sonia, he will see you for who you are, I am certain he already does. He's sweet on you too, trust me." She encouraged.

Sonia sat there weighing her options and agreed to attend the ball with Scarlett.

"Did you ask him already?" Sonia wondered.

"No, that will be your job, tell him I am taking you both." she said.

"I get nervous around him; I won't be able to even say "will you." Sonia mumbled.

"Try to suppress all those butterflies floating around your stomach and gain the courage to ask him."

"It's not lady like for us to ask the men."

"Well times have to change and if he sees it odd and strange then so be it, but I encourage you to peruse him." she laughed.

***

Arriving home Dathan spotted the carriage and rushed inside as soon as his came to a halt; immediately he made his way to her room and opened it without knocking.

"Scarlett?" He called.

Her room was dark and nothing seemed to be out of place, he searched in her bathroom and then ran outside to the back yard. Mr. Finckle the gardener was exiting the Labyrinth and he hurried over to him

"Is she here?" Dathan asked eagerly.

"Who sir?"

"My wife." He said hoping to not be disappointed.