Pressure

Chapter Thirty One

The days went by like a blade slowly cutting into her heart. Scarlett stared at herself through the giant oval mirror. Her hair was in brown ringlets down her back, her cheeks a rosy pink. Yet although she looked more than healthy since her departure from Heart Manor she was aching inside. Tonight the family was to meet her sister Nichole's new suitor, and she had to put aside all the ache inside. Even the Heart's were to attend the small dinner and with anticipation she awaited their arrival in hopes of maybe seeing him again.

Tonight she would beg him to reconsider the torturous weeks his son would have to endure believing that she had found a new man in her life. Even the seconds that ticked by seemed to put her on an edge of paranoia. With trembling hands Scarlett adjusted the last pins in her hair and stood trying to adjust her long cerulean dress. Giving anther light pinch to her cheeks she took a deep breath and turned from the mirror to finally descend. Nothing seemed to rob her of her thoughts. The ache inside seemed to remind her every second of her life why she was not in Dathan's arms. Part of her thought the old man had lost his marbles but then she would inwardly hit herself to remind her he knew best.

Shyly she opened her door, her head bowed showing her dismay and troubled thought's as she closed the door behind her and took another deep breath for the umpteenth time. The smell of fresh bread hit her nose as she took each step one by one. Her fingers curled into the soft material of her dress. Startled she was by the sudden approach of her sister Nicole, her right arm curled around a gentleman. Her eyes lifted to meet a pair of green eyes and a charming smile.

"Dear sister, I want you to meet Drake Worrall," Nicole cheerfully introduced. Her smile was brighter than Scarlett had ever seen. And her arm seemed to tighten around his own all the more.

"Your sister has told me so much about you Scarlett, I am glad to finally meet you," he said, his voice pleasant and deep.

Drake Worrall was a tall gentleman, dressed in a russet suit and obscure tie. His eyes fizzed in a merry manner, his grin molded a dimple at one side of his right cheek. He was broad shouldered, his hair a fair dirty blond fashioned a side.

"Has she now?" Scarlett replied, forcing her worried thought's aside in order to function.

Reaching out a hand she took his callous one in hers and gave it a firm shake, Instead of letting go Drake smiled at her and raised her knuckles up to his lips. Placing a warm kiss upon her hand he gave her another smile. "A Lady should always be greeted with the upmost respect," he said, his breath fanning over her knuckled.

Scarlett returned the smile and it was then that he let her hand slip from his hold.

"I am happy that you two have finally met, Drake here is also an artist, he's been very interested in seeing some of your work," Nicole beamed.

"Well, as you can see many of them adorn our home, why don't you take him around to see them. I am certain a bright girl like your will be able to fill him in on the details," Scarlett said, watching as the Heart's entered their home. Her eyes seemed to stay glued on Sir Heart who shrugged out of his black coat adjusting his hair and tie before turning to face her father. Nicole and Drake's voices drained from her ears as she moved her feet to confront them.

Lady Rita looked upon Scarlett with a frown as she took her hand and gave it a light squeeze. "How are you doing?" she asked, her once cruel and shriveling voice now a whisper.

"Well, may I have a word with Sir Heart perhaps?" she asked, just as her father and he pulled away from a patting hug.

"I would like to discuss something with you before you speak with my husband, is there somewhere private where we can talk?" she asked.

Scarlett blushed as she let go of Lady Rita's hand, her heart raced rapidly as she nodded and guided her up the stairs and into her own private chambers.

Closing the door behind her it was then that Lady Rita burst into tears. Scarlett stood wide eyed, her hands fiddled with one another not knowing what to do in truth.

"Is everything alright?" she asked, in a whisper.

Dabbing at her tears with a small white handkerchief Lady Rita sniffled a few times before looking up at her. "No, everything is not alright, Dathan has moved from his Manor, sold all his possessions and even fired the staff. He has gone insane." She huffed out.

Scarlett stood a bit baffled at her words. In just a short time Dathan had suddenly gone a bit ballistic. Then again he had said something about seeking to live somewhere near his parents.

"Why does this concern me?" she asked, almost regretting it.

"Don't you see? Have you no room in your heart for my son any longer?" Lady Rita replied, her eyes pouring yet again another round of tears.

"Your son and I have gone our separate ways."

"I might have been a beast to you in the past, but I know very well what your heart desires, every woman has that look when they have fallen in love," she protested.

"I don't understand how making changes to one's life is insane, quite frankly he might be looking for change." Scarlett tried to comfort.

"Change...he is not looking to find change, he is fleeing from everything that reminds him of you. He refuses to come out of that old dingy home he purchased and has grown thin and pale. Does that sound like my son? Do you ever recall him wanting to be cooked up in his manor all day?" She said, taking a few steps towards Scarlett.

"Lady Heart..."

"I know you still love my son, why then have you refused his new proposal, why then have you sought to hurt him so?" she pleaded.

Scarlett felt trapped. She wanted to tell her what was going on, why she didn't take him back. In honest truth she wouldn't understand, it would only infuriate her and make her evil again.

"I don't know what to really say, I'm speechless," Scarlett whispered.

"I want to ask you for forgiveness, I don't believe I have," Lady Heart confessed looking at her with a defeated expression.

"Please, it's all in the past, and right now all of us are trying to pick up the pieces to our lives," she replied. She didn't want to stand there any longer hearing about Dathan's bad condition. Taking her hand they both exited the room and walked to the dining area. Taking their seats they all bowed their heads to give a prayer and began to eat.

She sat there observing her family, the way they all smiled and laughed each with their life partner. Loneliness suddenly began to embrace Scarlett as she sat there staring at them. The need to talk with Sir Heart overwhelmed her, this had gone long enough. How could she sit here eating a wonderful meal when the love of her life lay with a broken soul?