Chapter Twenty Three

Hello, you beautiful people! I hope 2015 has been good to you so far. If not, don't worry- it's only the beginning :) We have, like eleven more months. Literally. 

Just letting you know that updates definitely will not remain this slow (I am so, so sorry for how long you guys wait), this is solely because my life has changed vastly since I started this story, and I'm still getting into the flow of things.

But don't worry, I'm not the type to leave things unfinished, and I don't intend to- especially with all your support. This story wouldn't even be on here without you guys.

PS. Thank you for believing in me and my writing (and putting up with typos...oops.)

As always, enjoy x

***

"Like, talk?" I questioned, crossing my arms. "Or- talk, talk."

Bree huffed, rolling her shoulders in, making her frame smaller then it usually is. "As in, I need a couple of moments to," she blinked, thinking. "Speak about things."

I scrunched up my face, unsure how to react. "Things?" I said unconvinced, scratching my arm.

 She nodded. 

"Bree," I started as I picked at my nails. "Now isn't the best time, and honestly, I - how do I put this, uh."

"...Don't want to?" She mumbled, turning her face away from mine and inspecting the door frame.

"Well," I took a breath. "When you say it like that it sounds a little harsh." I joked, flashing a weak smile. Which, in return Bree turned back to me, an expression as unreadable as before.

"I know you don't want to talk. Heck, I wouldn't want to talk to me." She said blankly, she gestured up and down her body. "Look at me." She tugged at her chapped lips and pointed at her bulging eye bags. "Look at this."

I stepped forward shutting the door behind me as Bree took a step back to let me through. Her left leg jittered as the rest of her hunching body stood still. Cautiously, I leaned forward, peaking around the warm coloured brick corners, just in case anymore unexpected visitors appeared. 

"They left about an hour ago." Bree intervened, turning my attention back to her.

"Huh?"

"The press... the crowds... They gave up looking. You're fine."

"Oh. You heard about that?"

Bree shook her head, wisps of stray hairs landing on her face. "I was there." she explained, "In the crowed."

"Ah." I bobbed my head, "I assume you saw my appearance on the boy's live stream too." I said, in  a tone of which I could not recognize in my own voice.

"Actually, that's what I wanted to talk to you about." Slowly, her words formed before her lips pressed together again, a hopeful glint present in her worn out eyes. I guess she sensed me appearing a little skeptical towards her, so she continued. "How long is the walk from here to the hotel?"

I crinkled my forehead, "A couple minutes, probably." I guessed, looking down the street.

"That's all I need." She bargained.

I looked her up one again, taking in the unfamiliar sight of Bree's state, contemplating whether or not I could believe, let alone trust a person who had enough nerve to go ahead with even half the things she had done.

Nevertheless, I started walking.

We walked together, no sound coming out of either one of us. The leaves crunched underneath my boots and the steady winds blew the leaves to dance around my ankles and up my shins.