Chapter One

Typical.

"You're joking, right?" I scoff into the handset, balancing the mobile inbetween my shoulder and my ear as I crammed multiple notebooks and papers into my backpack.

"No, I am a hundred percent, hand on heart, being totally honest with you." he assured me through the phone.

Absolutely typical.

"I- I, Calum..." I jam in my pencil case in before zipping up the bag. "You can't be serious." I glanced at the calender attached to my bedroom wall, it's not April fools again by any chance, is it?

I've known Calum since the first time he ever picked up an instrument. I've seen him grow through unexpected changes, unplanned situations and a very, very awkward snap back faze. But this, this was just too weird. Even for Calum.

"A hundred percent! A bruhjillian percent serious." As I opened my mouth to correct his poor, and frankly nonexistent choice of wording, he beat me to it. " Type me into Google."

"What? Calum, I am not searching y-"

"Have you got access to a computer or something?" he snapped. I glanced over at my already opened laptop. I'm a teenage girl. Of course I have access.

"Well, yes but," I protested.

"But nothing. Just do it." he demanded. I rolled my eyes. I knew how stroppy Calum gets when he doesn't get his way. And let me tell you, I was definitely not in the mood for one of his rants. I typed his his name into the search bar, already cringing at the fact that I was searching one of my closest friends on the internet.

"Have you done it yet?" he questioned, the bad signal making his voice tinny and distant, only emphasising the fact that he was worlds away from me. I nodded, disregarding the fact that he couldn't see me and hit the search bar. Immediately, the screen was filled with Calum Hood and 5sos in bold blue letters. I scanned through the search results- it didn't take long to notice a theme.

'5SOS's Calum hood spotted with Mystery Brunette' was the title of one article, ' Heartache on the Fangirls' said another. Wow, clever. The journalist must be real proud of that one. Every gossip website you could ever think of almost dedicated there headlines to this latest 'scoop', or whatever. I clicked on one of them:

'The New Yoko Ono?'

A picture of a girl and a guy appeared onto my screen. The boy, with the jet black hair and tanned exposed arms was undoubtedly Calum in a grey vest and ripped jeans. Alongside him, gripping onto his hand was a tall, lanky girl with a mop of curly chestnut hair disguising her face as she purposely hid her face in a similar way Calum did, attempting to avoid the paparazzi.

"Hello? Sophie?"

"Yeah, yeah I'm here." I muttered. Seriously, Calum is as clingy as his skinny jeans are to his legs...

My eyes fell upon the opening paragraph: Bassist from Australian pop punk phenomenon Five Seconds of Summer was spotted last night with a mystery brunette. The pair were seen having dinner before leaving hand in hand at about 11:15 this passed Friday.

I looked back at the photograph. Calum had always been taller then me but on this picture he looked tall. Like, really tall. The girl looked about 5'8 and she only reached his chin. His black shoes looked battered and I could see his tattoo peeking out of his vest.

"2012?"

"What? Oh, the tattoo? Yeah, 2012. Roman numerals, cool right?" I had put Calum on loudspeaker and I could hear voices of other people in the back round, echoing over his.

"It's nice."

"It's not the point. The point is Sophie, " he sighed, I could almost picture him pinch the bridge of his nose. He always did that whenever I got of point. "I need you to pretend to be my girlfriend."