Chapter Fifteen

I guess now was a perfect time to come clean.

And for a second, I almost did. I could've sat them all down and confronted them, admitting how all of this was lie- but a lie with the best intentions. Maybe they would've understood. Or maybe they would've gone ballistic. Whichever way it would've played out, that was probably the best time to say it.

I had the words ready, replaying on a loop in my head, prepared to defend Calum and admit my belonging here. I was going to, I swear I was.

But then I saw his reaction.

They say you don't know what you have until it's gone. I had never realized how familiar Luke's smile was to me. That is, until my eyes met with his steely ones. Anger is a strange feeling, though so very easy to recognize. It's horrid to feel, but even scarier to witness. And as I studied Luke's expression, I could feel the words fizzle back down, like a burning sensation in my throat.

It like rubbing sticks to make fire in a storm. I was the minute flicker, whilst he was the gust of wind that whittled me down just as I was about to ignite.

Then again maybe that was a good thing. I was a flame, ready to burn anything that came in contact with me. Like a candle, it's purpose being to give light. My purpose here was to enlighten Calum's time in need. As if I was the candle he used to find his way through a dark forrest. But I've served my purpose and, like a used candle, I was discarded. I was left unattended for too long.

And now I'm a wildfire.

"Where is he?" Luke demanded, gruffly. He pushed himself up from his sitting position, moving closer to Michael and Ashton.

"At the back of the hotel." Ashton stuttered, clearly fazed by Luke's sudden change in attitude, as was Michael.

I stood up, reaching out for Luke's arm, but he was already at the door.

"What are you going to do?" Michael blocked the door with his body, preventing Luke from leaving."Don't do something you'll regret later." he said firmly. Michael looked over at me. "Soph, I don't know what to say."

I opened my mouth to reply, but no words came out. I had none. The situation was too overwhelming for me to even comprehend.

"Look at her, " Luke said, gesturing at me before running his hands through his hair, drawing my attention to his sad, bloodshot eyes. "She can't even speak."

You could say that.

"I can't believe him." Luke shook his head, clasping his hand around the door handle. "I'm go-"

"No, stop!" I blurted out. Surprising both the guys and and myself with my sudden found voice. I reached for the door and took my key card out of my pocket, turning back to face them. "I'll go."

Ashton plucked the key card out of my hands, "Me and Michael will go. We don't need you getting hurt anymore by seeing them."

"No." I stated, my voice getting louder. "Calum's my boyfriend. It's my decision."

Even after all this time of pretending to be Calum's girlfriend, I still flinched as I said it. The taste was too foreign.

Michael stepped forward, "Sophie, please-"

"Give her the key card." Luke interrupted, sticking his arm out in front of Michael.

"But what if she see's something." Ashton added, all of them mimicking each others concerned expressions.

"Give her the key card, Ash." Luke replied, quietly. " Like she said, she's Calum's boyfriend."

It was even worse when Luke said it.