Chapter 5

"Kate! Set up the table!" my stressed out mom screamed from the kitchen.

The neighbors were supposed to arrive in about 5 minutes and the food still wasn't done.

"Yes your majesty." I groaned in response.

"Hey missy! Watch the attitude." Mom turned to shout at me waving the spatula at me like a maniac. I had to suppress my giggles but cracked a smile.

Just as I was about to sit back on the couch, the door bell rang. We had just finished setting everything up for the dinner.

My mom sprinted to open the door for the neighbors.

"Hello! Welcome to the Clark household." she greeted a bit too cheerily for my liking.

I walked up behind her and awkwardly waved at our neighbors. There was a blonde lady who was holding a wrapped up present, and a guy around my age with black thick rimmed hipster glasses holding a significantly smaller wrapped book.

Let me tell you, he was HOT.

"Hi, I'm Allison and this is my son Jake." she pointed to the guy who awkwardly waved at me.

"We just wanted to give you a little something as a welcoming gift." Allison said handing my mom her present.

"Thank you but you really didn't have to." my mom replied unwrapping the gift. It was a beautiful porcelain vase.

"Thank you so much Allison! I'm going to go replace my old vase with this one." my mother announced.

"I'll help you. Jake, give her your present." Allison said walking off with mom.

Jake and I awkwardly stood there in silence before he decided to speak up.

"Um I uh got you something." He said scratching the back of his neck.

"Oh uh thanks." I say suddenly remembering that he doesn't know my name yet. "I'm Kathleen by the way."

"Oh hi Kathleen. I'm Jake."

I unwrapped the box to find a small jewelry box inside. I slowly opened it and gaped at what I saw. It was a gorgeous silver necklace with a diamond flower charm. I was at complete loss of words.

"Do you not like it? I mean I would totally understand since I chose it and I'm not exactly good at giving gifts. And I mean I could just return it to the store and you could choose a-"

"No! It's beautiful." I assured him, cutting off his rambling.

"Do you want me to help you put it on?" He questioned politely.

"That would be very kind." I responded, mentally face palming at the formalness.

I give him the necklace, turn around and pull my hair over to one side.

I feel the delicate cold chain on my sensitive warm skin and smile down at it.

"Hey Jake, Kate dinner's rea-"

I look taking to see Allison and mom standing by the kitchen staring at Jake and I wide eyed.

Then it hits me that this must look so weird from someone else's perspective. I only now notice how close he is, as I feel his warm breathe on my neck.

" Umm it's not uh what it looked like. I'm sorry Ms. Clark. I was just helping Kathleen put on the necklace I bought her. " Jake rambled turning the color of a tomato. By this point I was probably as red as him, if not more.

"Oh. Well dinner's ready so you should probably make your way to the dinner table. " She pointed to the table with a confused look on her face.

An awkward dinner with the new neighbors... Just great.