Chapter 1

Kathleen's P.O.V

"Kate? Honey, it's time to get up. We're gonna miss our flight." I heard my mom's sweet and soft voice whisper to me. I sighed and got up to see my mom had already left my room. I stretched and looked at my phone to check the time, 5:30. Is it even legal to get up this early? 

I waddled to my bathroom and turned the shower on. As I waited for it to warm up, I slowly stripped from my pyjamas. I took off all my braclets and just stared at my scars.They reminded me of my life, the one I will now be leaving behind. I stepped into the shower and was immeditely welcomed by the warmth of the water. I stayed in the shower for a good 30 minutes before realizing I would be late. I quickly turned off the shower and stepped out. I winced at the coldness of the tiles on my feet. I wrapped a towel around my body and one around my long, brown, wavy hair and left the bathroom. I walked into my now empty room and put on the clothes I laid out yesterday, consisting of just grey sweatpants and an oversized black sweater. I instantly realized how they my clothes were now tighter on me. I sighed and put on my fluffy socks and put my pyjamas in my suitcase.

I walked downstairs only to see the emptyness of the kitchen and living room.                                   "Good morning sweety, how many pancakes do you want?" my mom asked me.                                 "Just one please, thanks mom." I replied earning concerned looks from my mom, dad and brother.       "Don't worry. I just don't want to eat a lot before we get on a 20 hour long plane ride. I'd probably puke." I lied. I've been doing that lot lately and have gotten quite good at it. In reality, I just wanted to be skinny again. I could see the telief on all three faces showing me that they obviously believed me.

"Katey!" I heard my father yell for the third time already. We were about to leave and I was running around in my room checking if I had forgoten anything. I could not find anything but still I had a feeling in the pit o my stomach that I'd forgoten something. "Kathy!" it was my brother yelling this time. I stopped looking around, picked up my suitcase and travel bag and walked to the door of my room. That's when it hit me. I almost for got my diary! Nobody knew about my diary and I hoped for it to stay that way. I droopped everything and spriinted into my bathroom. I lifted up the loose tile inder the sink and took out the small, square, hard covered book. "Kathleen Marie Clark. If you do not come down here right now I swaer to god I will drag you out of your room!" I heard my brother yell, followed by the sound of footsteps getting closer. I ran to the door, threw my diary in my travel bag. Just then the door swung open, only missing my face by centemeters and in stormed my brother. I tossed my bag over my shoulder just as he grabbed me with one hand and my suitcase with the other and started dragging me out. "Grayson! What the hell are you doing?!" I yelled and he just smirked in response.

What a jerk.

We got into the car and after a long quiet car ride of me looking out of the window while listening to music, we finally arrived at LAX. What happened at the airport was a complete blur. Crowds of people everywhere made it almost impossible to move. When it was announced that our flight was boarding, we headed to the terminal and stood in line. " Hey guys. We only have three tickets in a row and someone has to be a loner." I heard someone with an australian accent say. I turned around to see a group of four tall guys about my age standing quite close to me. One with pink hair was holding four plane tickets so I assume he was the one who said it. With him was a guy who looked like he was about 2 years older than me and had curly hair, an asian looking guy and a huge blonde guy. They all started arguing who was going to be the loner. "You alright Kate mate?" Grayson asked from beside me pulling me out of my thoughts. He wore a concerned looks. I smiled and nodded in return. "Yo peops?" I heard my father say. He tries to be cool sometimes and, well, he tries too hard. "We have tickets that are all scattered arounf the plane. Just waring y'all" I let out a loud sigh. The idea of having to sit with some stranger for 20 hours making me feel sick.

I found my seat which was in a row of two. Luckly I had the window seat so I got to enjoy the view. I heard someone awkwardly clear their throat so I turned around. Isaw the huge blonde haired guy standing in the isle next to my row. I looked at him for a moment and when I looked at his eyes I just couldn't look away. "Uh…sorry I have the seat next to you." he said awkwardly rubbing the back of his neck. I looked at the seat and only then noticed that my tavel bag waas still on it. I could feel my cheekd burning and heard the human giraffe chuckle as I moved my bag under the chair infront of me. He started laughing quietly making me blush even more. By now I probably looked worse than a tomato. Wow smooth Kath.

He sat down on the seat and I looked around for anyone in my family, but found no one.                       "So… what brings you to Sydney?" he asked awkwardly obviously trying to break the awkward silence. I stayed quiet for a while. I don't really talk to anyone other than my mom, dad and Grayson, and sometimes my therapist (if he is lucky). 

Before I could think, I heard myself answe "It's sort of personal. I guess I just wanted to start over." I said quietly, immediately clasping both my hands over my mouth. " Oh…uh… I'm sorry for asking. I'm Luke by the way. Luke Hemmings." he said extending his hand towards me to shake. I waited a few seconds before finally dropping my hands from my mouth and shaking his with my right hand.

"K-Kathleen. Kathleen Clark." I replied feeling a smile crawl it's way to my face.