Episode 10: The Baron's Son

Two glasses clinked in the night, as Heine and Viktor both downed their Niedergranzreich white wine, the latter humming in content.

"Yesterday was an amazing success, with Bruno ever-diligent in helping me with my work and Leonhard surprising us with his brilliant idea to enforce national insurance." Viktor leaned back on his chair, swirling his glass and watching the liquid swishing inside.

"Yes, makes me wonder how Princes Kai and Licht and Princess Lilia would surprise us next." Heine replied.

Viktor suddenly sat up, remembering something. "Heine," Viktor called, Heine letting out a "Hm?" in reply.

"I'm afraid Lilia would not be able to join Kai and Licht tomorrow.." He said.

"May I ask why?" Heine sat up straighter.

"Actually, Baron Dietrich has sent us a letter a few hours ago, requesting that his son and Lilia meet to discuss a potential marriage." Viktor explained.

"Ah, another suitor.." Heine sighed. "There seems to be no end in young nobility asking for the princess' hand.."

"Yes, makes me wonder if Adele will be the same.. Lilia is already enough of a heartbreaker.." Viktor joked.

"Do not jinx yourself, Viktor.."

"Of course..all prayers be that Adele chooses quickly- but still wisely." Viktor answered, quickly adding an afterthought afterwards.

▪ ▪ ▪

Lilia read a book while listening to the rumbles of the carriage wheels.

"It is only a small meeting." Viktor explained a few hours ago. "A small tea party to introduce the both of you together. It'll be quick."

"'Tea Party to introduce us' The guy'll probably spend hours talking about his ahievements...I'll probably be taking home his portrait as well or It'll be delivered to the palace.." Lilia grumbled to herself.

The carriage suddenly stopped and Lilia lurched forward, nearly dropping to the floor.

"W-What in the devil..?" Lilia whispered as she regained her bearings.

A knock was heard outside the carriage.

"Princess, we have arrived." Maximilian declared.

"Ah, thanks, Maximilian.." Lilia acknowledged as she opened the door and took Maximilian's hand, stepping out of the carriage daintily.

"The Dietrich manor.." Lilia whispered, taking in the appearance of the- smaller than Weisburg, but still impressive- estate.

"Ah! Princess Lilia! What an honor to have you in our humble home!" Baroness Dietrich greeted, curtsying in front of the princess.

"It is my pleasure, Lady Dietrich." Lilia curtseyed as well.

"Oh, please call me Athena." The baroness replied, smiling behind her fan.

"If that is what you wish, Lady Athena.." Lilia stood straight, holding her hands behind her.

A handsome young man walked to stand in front of Lilia, kneeling on one knee to kiss Lilia's right hand.

"Rosan Dietrich, pleased to meet you, Lady Lilia." Rosan looked up as he spoke.

"It is my pleasure, Lord Rosan." Lilia smiled sweetly, deciding to entertain the family as she hasn't been displeased yet.

"Ah, Rosan, get up from the ground, we must start our tea party right away!" The Baroness ordered as she walked to the entrance of the manor.

Rosan stood up and offered a hand to Lilia. "Shall we, princess?"