The Bittersweet

Past Day: Elena

I made Esther create a stronger spell, so Henrik could be strong enough for the wedding. The stronger he is during the wedding, the longer he will last for the journey to our cottage. I've been watching over him for weeks with Niklaus and it breaks my heart to know how much pain he is going through. I promised him I would be happy for the wedding day, so I do just that as I smile at Rebekah and Esther who are helping me get ready. "How do you feel darling?" Esther asks me as if she's not aware that I hate her and her wretched husband. "I am amazing mother. Henrik is better and I'm getting married to the love of my life. I'm quite nervous, but that's alright." I give her a small but genuine smile.

"Don't forget about me. I know I'm a reason you're happy too because we get to live out our lives as sisters." I giggle at her but am cut off by the sound of Henrik's poorly hid weak voice. "We all know I'm the real reason she's happy in this moment my dear older sister." He smiles widely at all of us. "Well, my dear Henrik you are quite correct." We all share a small laugh at this. "Why are you here and not with your father and the other men?" Esther asks in a soft but stern tone. "Well, father is distant and in the corner, Elijah is trying to stop Nik from panicking, and Kol is making fun of Nik for panicking. No one is paying attention to me in that chaotic atmosphere. I also wanted to see how beautiful you're becoming."

"You're the sweetest boy I know Henrik. I would hug you but-". "She would have to deal with my wrath and no one wants that especially not today." "Rebekah, my love, no wants that behavior any day," Esther says as I try to hide my snicker. Rebekah glares at me as Henrik gives me a cheeky smile behind her back. "Oh um, father won't be walking you down the aisle. I'll be ring bearer of course. I just wanted to make sure you were comfortable with." Henrik says nervously as Rebekah and Esther give expectant, nervous stares. "That makes my day even better," I say softly. I hear sighs of relief and immediately after I'm ushered to the mirror.

"Wow, I can see why everything took so long. This dress is remarkable." I say shocked. "It is quite breathtaking," Henrik says from his chair in the corner. I make eye contact with him through the mirror and smile. That smile is ripped from my face as Rebekah tightens the corset strings of my dress. I grunt in pain as I grip the mirror. "Jesus Christ!" "Sorry but beauty is pain," Rebekah says as tightens the last few strings. She steps back, and I turn to everyone in the room. "How do I look?" "Absolutely amazing." Rebekah gushes. "Lovely darling," Esther says softly. Henrik doesn't respond but he hugs me tightly as I hug him back.

____________

Past Day: Elena

"Are you nervous?" Elijah asks. "I'm very nervous actually but having you by my side makes it better." We exchange soft smiles as he loops his arm into mines. First, Rebekah walks out throwing flowers down the aisle and once she makes it to her spot at the altar, it's Elijah, and I's turn to walk. He discretely squeezes my hand and that gives me the courage to look at everyone in the village. I finally get the courage to look at Nik and we look eyes at the same time as he looks up from the ground. Locking eyes with him tales my breath away. I'm winded and the courage I had left me as the butterflies enter my stomach. Almost two years it's been since I've met a different him, my world has turned upside down. I get to him and he immediately takes both of my hands, and I squeeze them in return.

As the ceremony starts, I hear nothing our officiary is saying as I look in Nik's eyes. Every memory flashes in them from the worst to the best and our first to now. I can't help to let a tear escape, and he wipes it away. I finally hear voices when it's time to say our vows. We have to repeat after our officiary. Nik starts off first and his smile widens. "Through sickness and health." "For rich or for poor." "Through our strife and love." "I'll be here." Now we speak together. "Til death do us part. Always and forever. I love you." We get closer. "I do

Present Day: Klaus

I'm sitting in my art room dressed in a suit smiling at the feeling but wondering if this will last as I paint this moment.