Chapter Seventeen

Sakari's POV

"You're my responsibility now."

Zuko's words echoed in my head for the next few days, it was the sweetest thing I'd ever heard him say, he really is starting to soften up. My leg was healed completely now and I was happy that I could walk properly again, not being able to do much really had me in my own head, I had been thinking about Tui's last lesson. The one about Bloodbending. It really could have helped me out back at the compound, hell, it could help me out of many situations. I absentmindedly created a small whirlpool in the ocean below as I leant on the railing and looked up at the night sky, caught up in my thoughts. I thought back to the dream I had had the other night, about Zuko kissing me... It felt strangely real, but... No... He wouldn't have. Still, it felt good.

"Hey." A voice greeted from behind me.

I snapped out of my thoughts and turned to face the familiar voice, giving him a smile.

"Hey, Zuko." I greeted back.

Zuko joined me at the railing and looked up to the stars, I stayed with my back against the railing.

"Couldn't sleep?" He asked.

"Just needed some air." I responded, thinking if I should tell him about my dream.

"What are you thinking about?" He asked out of nowhere.

"What do you mean?" I said confused.

"You always frown like that when you're thinking." Zuko said with a chuckle.

"Oh, I... Uh, nothing." I stuttered, turning away from him.

He sighed and placed his finger under my chin, lifting my head up to face him, my heart started pounding because of how close our faces were.

"You know you can talk to me if something's bothering you, right?" He said in a low whisper.

I nodded my head and took a deep breath before blurting out what had been on my mind.

"I had a dream the other night that we were on the boat and I had an arrow in my leg and you kissed me." I said in one breath.

"Oh." Zuko said, pulling away from me.

"Did it really happen, or was it just a dream?" I questioned.

"Uh, no, it was a dream." Zuko said sounding flustered. "You have strange dreams."

"Yeah." I chuckled. "I guess I do."

*****

The next morning, I was sitting at a table with Zuko and Iroh, having a delicious cup of tea, Zuko seemed to be in a bit of a mood.

"Ahh." Iroh took a sip of his tea. "See, Prince Zuko. A moment of quiet is good for your mental well-being."

Zuko lifted his cup to his lips and was about to take a sip when something suddenly knocked the ship, spilling his tea all over him. I covered my mouth, trying to stifle the laugh that escaped, and earned a glare from Zuko. We all rushed out to the deck to see what the disturbance was, when we were suddenly faced with some kind of large blind animal.

"We're looking for a stowaway." The lady yelled from the animals back.

"There are no stowaways on my ship." Zuko told her.

The lady ignored him as her animal ripped up part of the deck and threw it our way, we all ducked as it came flying towards us, and Zuko pulled me behind him. We watched as a man emerged from the hole and tried to run away, but the animal extended its tongue and whipped the man with it, sending the man to the floor.

"What happened?" I muttered.

"He's paralysed." Zuko stated.

The lady jumped off the animal and lifted the man over her shoulder.

"Only temporarily. The toxins will wear off in about an hour, but by then, he'll be in jail and I'll have my money." The lady said as she placed the man on the animals back.

"How did you find him on my ship?" Zuko asked.

"My shirshu can smell a rat a continent away." She stated before climbing on its back and leaving.

"Very impressive." Iroh said to himself.

Zuko looked to be in deep thought about something as he walked away from us, and I had a bad feeling about it.

*****

"Do you know what his plan is?" I asked Iroh as we wandered the ship.

"I am sorry, Sakari, but I do not." Iroh told me.

We wandered in silence for some time before Iroh broke it.

"How is your bending going? I have not seen you meditate for some time." Iroh stated.

"Oh, yeah it's good... I've only got one more thing to learn, but I'm not sure if I want to." I told Iroh.

"Oh?" Iroh said.

"Yeah... It's something called Bloodbending." I said. "Tui says I don't have to learn if I don't want to."

"Bloodbending? What is involved in that?" Iroh asked.

"Apparently it lets me control another person, by bending the water in their blood..." I explained to Iroh.

"Interesting."

"Do you think I should learn it?" I asked, wanting his advice.

"Hmm, well it would certainly be a good skill to have in a desperate situation." Iroh stated.

"Yeah, that's what I thought..."