05. First Impressions

Flashbacks: all are in italic

Picture: Garrett Neff asJeremy Rodriguez

 ______________________________________________

Chapter Five

First Impressions

Point of view: Christopher

"Sit down, Chris." Dr. Wise gestured to the chair next to the hospital bed as I walked out of the bathroom. "I want both of you to hear what i'm about to say concerning Jeremy."

"Right." I scooted that uncomfortable blue chair closer to my husband as I dropped down onto it with a anguished sigh. I looked over to Jeremy and couldn't help but to smile at him as he gazed into my eyes with those honey brown orbs i've been craving to see for so long. He blushed and looked down at the hospital bed, I wanted to touch him. I wanted to kiss him senceless, then take him in my arms to make sure he stays safe. Lord knows I wanted to, but I couldn't. I didn't want to make him any more uncomfortable then he already was. So I just chuckled quietly at his reaction before turning my head to give the doctor my undivided attention.

"First off i'm going to explain your wounds Jeremy." The doctor spoke as he looked down at the chart in his hands. "The surgery went great, it missed any vital organ....

"Thank God..." I muttered a little bit too loud. I focused back on the doctor when I heard him chuckling at my response.

"Yes, we're very greatful for that." He spoke genuinly, before getting serious once again. "We're going to have you treated using a couple HBO therapy sessions before sending you home with Chris, alrite Jeremy."

"He's gets to come home? When?" I asked at the same time that Jeremy questioned "HBO?"

"Hyperberic Oxygen therapy." The doctor clarified. "It's high concentrated forms of oxygen used for several different things like healing burns, wounds, or infections. It superchanges the bodies natural healing process so your actually healing from the inside out.

Jeremy nodded his head as he absentmindedly stroked his gunshot wounds as he gazed off into space. I frowned before placing a hand on his arm, he jumped and turned to glare at me.

"Sorry." I nodded to him before turning to the doctor once again. "So when do I get to take him home?" I asked a bit impatiently.

"I'm sitting right here, i'm not a dog." Jeremy grumbled out as he rolled his eyes and crossed his arms.

I laughed out right at his behavior. Yeah, still stubborn as ever. My husband was definitely in there somewhere. I smiled fondly at him as he huffed at my reaction.

"Well, were going to do a few HBO treatments, today will be his first one." Dr. Wise answered rubbing his chin in thought. "So sometime this week, as long as he's healing properly."

"Great," I spoke excitedly. "I can't wait for you to come home, l've missed you so much."

I looked over to see Jeremy's reaction. He was switching his gaze from the doctor then back to me repeatedly. I could see the fear and horror written across his face.

"Isn't it better if I were to stay here?" Jeremy asked as he bit his lip and looked up at the doctor.

Just hearing those words leave his mouth, painfully pierced my heart. I just wish my husband could love me half as much as I love him. I had to keep in mind that this could be worse than it is. For days I've been sitting by his bedside talking to him, touching him, just waiting for a sign that he was getting better. So, the most important thing is that he's alive and well, the rest I can deal with. No matter how sad and hurt I am that he doesn't remember me.