Church Chapter (17)

I left Kader and headed toward the river with my water bucket. I begin to swing it back in forth, which helps me feel calm. My mind is filled so many thoughts and I am filled with new worries. Kader wants to run away together. He told me he wanted to do it soon before the harvest moon and our mating ceremony. He wants to leave in twos days, he worries if we wait longer his father will have found a permanent way to end us. I agreed because I should honor my mate and his wishes. I am still unsure but Kader must know best, and I trust him. He wants to leave is whole life behind to have a chance with me. This is everything I have always wanted from a mate, someone devoted. Still this does nothing to ease my stomach and the pit that will not go away.

I finally reach the river and fill my bucket. I need to hurry and head back before my mother and Violet get suspicious. If they are not already. I make it to my home in no time and I still smell Violet and my mother. I hear a noise I did not expect and it almost startles me. I hurry in and toward the living room. The scene before me is hard to look at my mind cannot process it, with the state it is in.

It is my mother and Violet laying on the floor..........laughing? They are both full blown belly laughing on the floor. I stand their going unnoticed by both, they look so happy. My eyebrows draw together in concern. Something must be wrong with them. I never thought I would see the day that they two of them would be laughing and looking happy together.

Finally, Violet notices me and stops laughing but more to try and catch her breath.

"Oh Azalea, welcome back!" She exclaims. My mother stops too and gets up, she too is out of breath.

"My Ficca, what took you so long, we started to worry." They did? They sure do not look worried.

"Well I-I am sorry to have worried both of you. I just decided to take a quick walk to help me focus more on the pottery."

"Oh, never mind about that. Your mother and I made you enough pieces to get you started." Violet says and gestures to the kitchen table with is indeed covered with everything from plates to spoons all with a light sage colored hue.

"Oh my, you should not have done that. I am I not supposed to make them myself, is that not tradition?" My mother always said it was the way, well she did or the Batani do.

Violet waves her hand at me "It is a tradition but an outdated one. I did all the potter work for my older sisters when they were mated. I still had them take credit but it is quite normal to have other family help with all this. I mean no one outright says that is what happens but they do."

"Yes, it is Mothers help their daughters this way but keep it a secret." She smiles at me. Her smile is so bright, and lovely. She makes everyone around her happy too, that is one of the reasons I admire her so.

I also realize I have not seen her this carefree with another person besides me in a long time. I am confused as to why Violet? It was so awkward and uncomfortable earlier with the two of them and now if I did not know them I would think they were friends.

"Yes, it is no different than the women who buy dresses for their daughters from your mother. Some just do not have the talent or in your case the time to get good at certain task. I was made to practice pottery for hours as a girl. As a result, I am good at it. But I can not cook to save my life."

The both laugh, "yes and I cannot embroider for the same reason." They both look at each other and then me. What happened between them?

Then a scent hits all of us, "Oh, look at the time, Dax and Don are close. It must be time to go." Violet sounds disappointed and looks to me.

"Thank you, Azalea, for letting me a part of your new Mateship. I did not dream I would get to do this after I had no daughters." She moves to me and hugs me. I stiffen not sure how to react to this. It has been many years since she has hugged me.