Chapter 2

I swiftly run a brush through my long honey colored hair that ends just above my bellybutton. I quickly put it into a plaint that shows my unmated status.

All unmated she wolves must have their hair in a plaint, and all mated she wolves must still wear their hair up in some fashion. Your mate is the only man that is allowed to see you with your hair down and only in private. You're never to have it down in public for anyone to see.

Just one of many rules that the Star Bãtrâni had foreseen in the stars which they wrote down and made into a book titled Modalităţile de lup; The Ways of the Wolf. It contains guide lines, traditions, and the history of our pack.

No one knows for sure when the book was forged but many believe it is older than the pack itself. And each year customs are added to it.

The original Modalităţile de lup is help by the Star Bãtrâni, but it has been made into small copies for every member of the pack to have and view. Even if the copies are much smaller they are still very heavy and thick and continue growing.

Mother makes sure we read from it every night before bed. To humans it's the equivalent to the Bible, or at least I think it's called the Bible. In the Modalităţile de lup it is not proper to have any association with humans or human materials.

But I guess that is another scandal or rule me and my mother have broken; a sin you could say, because my mother use to live among humans before my father found her and brought her to this pack.

When I was younger I used to beg my mother to tell me about her being chosen for my father and about how they met, but she avoids the subject skillfully.

I want to know because I was told my father brought my mother to the pack to only then be chosen to be mates a strange meeting indeed.

Since my mother used to live among humans, when she came to this pack she brought with her a collection of books written by humans.

Werewolves don't write books other than the Modalităţile de lup and a few others for us to learn of our history and culture but never fiction like the human books my mother possess.

Sure we have folklore or legends but they are only passed down by storytelling no one writes them down.

Of course my mother hid the human books from my father when she came to the pack, and she tried to hide them from me also.

But when we moved to our own house I came across them eventually, me only being five years old I could not read them, but I was fascinated by the colorful pictures inside them.

Mother caught me rummaging through them and later that night began reading them to me after reading form the Modalităţile de lup of course. They became bedtime stories that lulled me to sleep every night.

As I got older and mother taught me to read she gave some of the books, so I could keep them in my room and read them whenever I wished.

I cannot get enough of the stories; Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty, Red Riding hood, and many more. I love to read, and when I have free time I go to my hidden sanctuary deep within the forest to get peace and too read my forbidden books.

I look in my vanity mirror that is made from rich redwood that used to belong to my grandmother on my father's side; my mother not having any living family members. This is another thing she avoids discussing with me, again a painful subject for her.

The vanity is beautifully crafted by my grandfather's hand and has these deep grooves and deep brown vein's running through it.

I check and make sure my braid is acceptable. It looks well to me no fly always.