Chapter 15

My heart is pounding, and I am resisting the urge to rush to Kader. Something is clearly wrong, why is he just standing at the edge of the woods. He makes eye contact with me and inclines his head toward the forest. He clearly wants me to go to him. I take a glance to my mother and Violet, they are absorbed in making cups. How on earth can I get away without them being suspicious. Oh Stars, why does Kader have to be so secretive? But I must go he needs to speak with me and I need to know what he has to say.

My mind races to think of a good enough excuse I look to the window again and see the garden, that's it! I return to the living room, and place the tea down. "Excuse me mother Violet, I just realized I forgot to get water this morning for the Garden. I really should do that now before the sun gets higher and hotter." I try to seem calm as I speak but I know I got the words out rushed. My mother studies me and I see she is about to protest when Violet speaks, "of course you should get to it, maybe a break will help clear your head. The then can begin bowl making". Thank the Stars, "I am so sorry, I will try to be quick". I incline my head and turn to leave. Neither give an indication of whether they can smell or sense Kader nearby. With one final glance at my mother who seems concerned but not suspicious, I head out.

I search the tree line for Kader but see him, I can however feel him. He must be further in the woods. I almost forget to grab the water pail. I need to at least try to keep up with my lie. However, if I do go get water after our conversation it really isn't a lie. As I think this I know it's wrong, I will ask the Stars forgiveness later. I am almost running as I enter the woods, where is he. I try to see through the trees but I realize I should just sniff him out. I take a deep breath through my nose and pick up is deep uniquely Kader scent. He is a lot farther out than I thought he would be. I suppose he does not want anyone to see us or hear us? A pit begins to grow in my stomach, something must be wrong.

Memories of last night with Ward and I emerge. He was so sad last night, I could almost feel his pain. I just wish I knew what he was thinking and why he was behaving so strangely. I have a sickening feeling that that may be what Kader wants to talk to me about. Oh Stars I hope not, I do not know what I would say. I mean it is not like I did anything wrong, other than being out with an escort.... and being alone with a man that was not related to me or my mate... I need to calm down, I cannot give Kader any reason to believe I am not faithful and acting nervous will not help in my favor.

I can feel him moving closer to me, he must have sensed me finally. He is not as far as the river but almost. My heart is racing but I push myself forward, to be honest I really missed Kader. It feels like it's been forever since the awkward family dinner. I see him walk through a clearing of trees and my heart leaps. All I want to do is hug and kiss... him. I just need to be near him. As I get closer I see his expression is stern and I can fell the frustration and tension coming from him. His dark eyes find mine and I almost want to cry he looks so upset.

I look into his eyes and but I feel shy and look down for a second. But I need to know what is wrong. "Kader, what's going on?" He looks me up and down taking all of me in. I shiver at the action. I lean forward and place my free hand on his arm. I need to touch him now. He looks to my hand and then the other carrying the water pail. "Why are you holding that?" His gruff voice asks. It takes me a moment to realize what he is asking. "Oh, I-I needed a good excuse to leave the house. We had Violet over to help me..." I trail off embarrassed to tell him I need help in pottery. "She is helping my mother and I with some house supplies, because she does not have daughters of her own to have the experience with."

"Oh, I see, that makes sense. We need to talk and... I wa-needed to see you." He looks deeply at me. I blush at his admission. It warms my heart that he feels the same.

"I needed t-to see you too". I admit quietly. I look to the forest floor feeling very small right now. I feel Kader's hand on my cheek as he pulls my eyes to meet his. I move closer and so does he, he leans in a bit. I need him to kiss me, as his lips almost touch my he pulls away. I look at him alarmed. "What's wrong?" My eyebrows furrow.

"Azalea, I have so much I need to tell but I don't think you'll understand." He trails off not meeting my eyes now. I pull away from him searching his face for answers.

"Please just tell what's going on, I will try to understand." I drop the bucket feeling its weight and grab Kadar's hand "please just tell me".

He lets out a huge sign, "okay but let me talk and finish what I need to say first". I nod my head. "Of course,".

"Azalea, the Harvest Moon is a few nights from now-and-well. Okay you must know that my father has no intentions of letting me leave the pack to go to yours." I stare at him with a question about to burst out of me.

"He... he also will not allow you to join our pack." He takes a breath, "he does not want us to be mated and his speaking with the Star Batani on our mateship. He does not believe you will birth the next alpha for any pack. He believes the Taurus Batani... is mistaken on his foresight."

The pit that for forming in my stomach finally dissipates. But that is merely because I cannot breathe. I mind takes in all of his words but is having trouble processing the meaning.

"Azalea, are you okay?" I must look like I am about to pass out because I see as though my legs will give out at any moment.

After what feels like an eternity I look him "what does this mean, your father thinks I am unworthy of being your mate? He thinks that the Batani would lie or is false in his predictions. Why in the Stars would he do such a thing?" Now I can process what I am thinking and feeling, and I feel anger. Such an anger that I do not think I have ever felt before, how dare he. I am usually calm and try to do the right thing and not think poorly of anyone if I can help it.

"I don't know Azalea; my father says that the Batani have been known to lie or alter the Star's readings to work in their favor or the packs. He and many others of my pack have been suspicious of their motives for years now. That's why my pack moved its territories further from the main village. Hoping to not be exposed as much to the Batani reach."

My mind races with his meaning, their heretics. They don't believe in the telling in the Stars and they are calling the Batani dishonorable. I look at him distraught.

"You cannot be serious? Our Pack, has always relied on the Batni to guide us. The Stars know the way and they help us understand."

"I wish I believed that Azalea, but from what my father says they are corrupted. You should understand this, look what they did with your parents. No wolf let alone an Alpha has ever needed more than one mate. Something was not right and things were changed to fit the needs of those in power."

My father, no there is no way he would have wanted another mate. I know he is terrible but I can see he loves my mother.

"You think my father is corrupt?" I ask Kader, knowing the answer.

"I don't know but my father does and he does not trust him or your family."

My mind whirls and I need to sit down. Kader must have sensed this and helps me as I sink to the ground feeling leaves and twigs crunch as I settle. All of this cannot be true, I mean yes, my father has not been always kind. Dax and Don are certainly no prize either but I do not think they would be so scheming. Even as I think this I know it i not true. Those boys are rotten but I still cannot believe the Star Batani would do this, what could they gain?

A thought comes to mind, "Why would your father speak to the Batani about our mateship if he believes the to be corrupt?" It does not make sense to me, if they are bad they will just lie to keep Kader and I mated. At least I think so?

Kader looks away for a moment and then down at me. He crouches down to a sitting position and turns to me. "I think this is his way of testing them. He wants to see if he can catch them in a lie. Or..." He pauses choosing his next words carefully. " he wants to see if they can be swayed to help him rise to power."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Authors Note

I know its been over a year since I have updated. With all that is happening in the world I finally have time to destress by writing. This story has always been in my head/heart and I am determined to finish it. I know I may not have many readers still with me but if your out there I would appreciate the support and motivation. 

Please Comment, star, and follow me for updates. There will be another chapter out soon.