THE DANCE

CHAPTER ONE.

I was walking down the hall. My long green dress swaying along with every step I took. I looked around the huge banquet which was completely packed with people and I could hear the faint chatting over the music. My hand went to the locket I was wearing, the one my mother gave me on my 22nd birthday. I took a deep breath, plastered a huge smile on my face and walked towards my siblings, who were sitting at one of the tables. I sat on the chair next to my younger sister, Olivia, and released a breath I had no idea I was holding.

“Drink?” Sam, my cousin asked.

“Yes, please.” I said, tucking my chocolate brown hair behind my ears. He handed me a glass of champagne. “Tone down your facial expression.” He said. “People. Pity faces. Can’t help it.” I told him, took a small sip and kept the glass on the table.

“Alexa got a new tattoo.” Olivia said while looking at her phone. “You are not getting a new tattoo again.” Sam said, trying to be the elder brother which he miserably fails to be.

“Just look at her tattoo. It’s so beautiful.” Olivia showed me her phone, completely ignoring Sam. There was a huge but beautifully tattooed dream catcher on the back of her neck. “It’s beautiful.” I said. I always had a fantasy of tattoos but I never had the nerve to get one. I cannot get something done on my skin and live with it for the rest of my life. I was admiring her tattoo when Taylor sighed. “Here she comes again.” Taylor said, looking at a blonde girl.

“Who’s she?” Evan, Sam’s husband and the only person I can tolerate without losing my shit, said. “His ex.” Olivia said, vigorously typing on her phone.

“But you broke up years ago.” Sam said while playing with Evan’s fingers. “I know.” Taylor said, trying to hide his face behind me.

“Why would you even date a family friend?” I scoffed, taking a sip from my drink. He jumped towards me, snatched the champagne glass from my hand and kept it on the table. “What are you doing?” I asked him, raising my eyebrows. He always finds a way to embarrass me. “Come with me. She won’t be able to find me on the dance floor, there are so many people out there.” He said, taking my hand and pulling me with him.

“No way.” But he, anyway, pulled me to the dance floor and we started swaying to the music. “You know I don’t like this.” I whisper-shouted. He twirled me around and kept my hand on his shoulder. “You shouldn’t have left those dance lessons mom forced us to go to.” I rolled my eyes “Asshole.” Then he spun me around to the next person. Ugh.

The man kept his hand on my waist and I placed my hand on his broad shoulders. I could have just excused myself at that moment but something stopped me, maybe it was his green eyes. There was something really attractive about his eyes. His eyes reminded me of the forest, like the different colour of trees and bushes when seen altogether reflected different shades of green and yellow, it was all in his eyes. It reflected the same calmness that nature does. I just couldn’t get enough of it, and the way his mesmerizing eyes were looking straight into my caramel ones, it became more difficult to move my eyes from his. He twirled me around and pulled me closer to him. My hands went around his neck. He was taller than me by at least two to three inches. His light brown hair was pushed back. He wore a dark shade of blue shirt, the collar button was kept open and I could see a hint of black ink on his collar, which I assume was a tattoo. He removed his hands from mine and took out his phone from his pocket. “Excuse me.” He said in a thick British accent, with a small smile and left.

“He was hot.” I heard a voice I desperately wanted to hear. I turned around and hugged my best friend, Rachel. “I missed you so much.” Rachel whispered. The last time we met was months ago and I wasn’t even aware that she was going to be here. “Why didn’t I know you were coming?” I asked her.