iv. Louis

Dad had been very conflicted about letting me go back into the forest after I had gotten lost, so rather than have my hiking privileges taken away, I convinced him that I would give him my phone every night so he could make sure it was charged. Score: Mira: 1 Dad: 0.

Sure I guess I would give up my precious phone, but it's not like I had any social media or any friends to text. Dad never let me have social media, and I never knew why, plus being homeschooled never really meant one had plenty of friends anyway.

So after a very long conversation of the dangers of the forest and blah blah blah don't get lost again blah blah, I was free to go. I'm sure Dad would have wanted to come with me, but he started his shifts at the first-aid center today, and I assured him nothing bad would happen to me.

"So I won't see you there?" Dad asked, picking up his wallet, phone, and keys as he prepared to head off. The wrinkles on the top of his forehead were starting to show again. He really did worry too much.

"No, you won't. Nothing bad will happen to me." I assured him, pushing his body towards the door with no success. My skinny arms were no match for his huge frame. He had played basketball in high school so he was a pretty big guy. Dad seemed to find my lack of strength amusing as he exaggerating leaning back.

"Are you sure, Mira? Maybe I should stay just to be sure." He chuckled as I groaned from the weight.

"Yes, I'm sure Dad. Now go! You'll be late!" I urged him, finally succeeding in getting him through the open door of the cabin. He laughed before turning and giving me a kiss on the forehead.

"Alright, baby girl. Be safe, keep your phone with you. I'll be back soon." He said, and then he was walking down the sidewalk to his old truck, and set off for the main center of Briarwood.

Finally, now I could go to the forest in peace.

I was determined to find out where those yucca flowers were coming from. I had even done my own research on an old laptop Dad had, and sure enough, the flowers that were now decorating the kitchen in a purple vase were yuccas.

So after gathering my stuff and throwing on my army green overcoat over the sweater and jeans I wore, I set off on my mission to find the yucca flowers from the day before.

It had rained last night, so a dense fog enveloped me once I stepped outside. It wasn't so bad to where I couldn't see very far, but it gave the forest a mystical and magical touch that I loved. Pulling my coat closer to my body when a sudden chilling wind blew, I set off towards the forest full of unanswered questions.

I pulled the folded papers I had scribbled on earlier out of my pocket, reading over them as I navigated my way around the forest. I had left little markers in the form of little stacks of pebbles around the trees yesterday, and I soon found my little trail without much difficulty.

My papers claimed yucca flowers didn't grow anywhere near Washington. Why not just one, but a trail of them were in the forest was beyond me. While I followed my trail, I took out a pen from my backpack and made a crude map on the back of my yucca flower notes. I had a feeling I would need this map again sometime in case I didn't find anything today.

My long hair whipped around my shoulders as the breeze flowed through the forest again, its strength tampered by the thick trees. I took a deep breath, feeling the crisp air swirl in my lungs before exhaling, my mind completely at ease and my heart refusing to fail me today.

I continued on my trail, my hand still tracing the squiggly lines of a map as I walked forward. I would occasionally look up every now and then so as not to run straight into a tree (I'm sure Dad wouldn't have appreciated a huge bruise on my forehead when I returned to the cabin), but I must not have looked up soon enough, because I ran right into something solid. I fell back and landed on my butt in the dirt, my hand drawn map falling along with my pen as I looked up to see what I had run into.