xxiv. Match

"Football?" I had repeated with a disgusted look on my face, Louis nodding with a huge smile.

I had opened the cabin door a few days later in the morning to find Louis all dressed in shorts, a red Adidas jacket, and old black sneakers that had obviously seen better days. A huge duffel bag was over his shoulder and he had an interesting proposition for me.

"Wanna come play a football match with my friends and me? It'll be fun." He offered, my nose scrunching up at the idea. A girl with heart problems running around and getting tackled to the ground? Not my idea of fun.

Louis noticed my disgust and laughed when he realized what I thought he was talking about.

"Not American football, the other one. You call it soccer." He chuckled as my expression changed and my cheeks faintly tinted pink.

"I don't know Louis..." I muttered, leaning against the doorframe. I never really engaged in anything athletic due to my heart, and I wasn't too sure if Dad would let me go.

"Aw, come on Butterfly. Have you ever played?" Louis pouted, one hand pressed to the hard wood of the cabin wall as he leaned closer to me.

"I played in kindergarten. Dad made sure the coach always put me as a goalie so I wouldn't tire myself out too much though." I admitted, Louis smirking as he tried to convince me.

"See? We could use a goalie, all my friends suck at it." He joked, poking my side.

As if my situation couldn't get any worse, Dad decided to find out why I was keeping the door open so long.

"Mira, what are you doing just standing there? Let Louis in." He reprimanded me before walking over, but Louis only shook his head and laughed.

"I'm alright, Mr. Lane. I was just trying to get Mira to come play soccer with me and my friends." I scowled at Louis while my Dad's eyebrows raised in curiosity.

"Mira you should go. Show off your killer goalie skills." Dad nudged my arm, becoming the recipient of my angry glare instead of my boyfriend.

"Dad, I sucked."

"No, you were the best goalie the YMCA had." Dad snickered. He knew I wasn't the best goalie ever when I was young. I would often get distracted by little flowers on the grassy field and accidentally let balls roll in the net. I'm pretty sure the parents would have petitioned to kick me off the team, but Dad worked his usual charm. Besides, everyone loved him being around and I'm pretty sure kicking a girl with a heart problem off a kindergarten soccer team was a moral crime they didn't want to be guilty of.

"I don't know..." I trailed off, both men looking at me with sad looks. Dad was exaggerating a pout and Louis honestly looked like someone had just kicked his dog. It made my insides churn with guilt, and I sighed when I realized I was beat.

"Fine, I'll go." I huffed, both men smirking at each other. I glared at both before heading upstairs to change into some of Dad's old basketball shorts and a t-shirt. Louis was waiting for me outside, smiling and holding out his hand for mine as we walked towards the forest.

"You play soccer in the forest?" I teased, but to my surprise Louis said yes.

"There's not a place to play in the Rift, so we come out to a clearing in the forest. Minerva made us special goals that we can build on-site."

Our walk was silent for a little while after that, until I started getting nervous about meeting his friends. I already didn't have very many friends, what if Louis' friends hated me? What if they thought I was weird or strange? What if they didn't want to hang out with me because of my heart? It had happened before.