xxi. Truth

I had seen flyers for a classic film festival in the park around Briarwood's grocery store when I went with Dad a few days later, my fingers tracing over one that had been taped to one of the cash register counters.

"Thinking about going?" The middle-aged woman with frizzy red hair behind the register asked, a smile on her face as she rang up our groceries.

"Maybe. What are some of the movies shown?" I asked, the woman looking up at the ceiling as she tried to remember the titles.

"Um, I know they're showing The Wizard of Oz, The Sound of Music, and Breakfast at Tiffany's for sure. They tend to show more recently released movies as it gets late and some of the older folks go home."

My mind thought of Louis and I sitting on a blanket and cuddling under the stars as we watched old films together, a warm fuzzy feeling blossoming in my chest at the idea.

"Is it alright if I take this?" My fingers curled around the paper as I asked the woman while Dad paid for the groceries, the cashier nodding.

"Please do. We have plenty of boxes filled with them in the back." She assured me, wishing me a good day as I helped Dad carry the groceries out of the store and to the truck.

I had spent most of the rest of the day helping Dad clean up the cabin a bit, some headphones on my ears as I half-danced-half-dusted the living room. Dad was busy mowing the lawn outside, so I thought it was safe for my terrible dance moves to break out.

My feet moved along to infectious pop dance tunes, my head bobbing with the beat and my hips swaying with the bass as I twirled around the room. I would occasionally dust a lampshade here and there, but I mostly danced.

I was so caught up in my dance moves and my loud music that I jumped when I heard an extremely loud pounding on the back door, my head turning to find Louis with the goofiest grin on his face as he watched me.

My face changed color to a deep red as I knocked the headphones off my head, opening the door and letting Louis inside.

"Hello my beautiful Butterfly." Louis greeted me, kissing my still-reddened cheek before laughing. "What was that?"

"Nothing, nothing." I rushed out, my gaze fixed on the floor as my embarrassment got worse.

Louis saw me dancing. And not like pretty choreographed dancing, the bad improvised kind. Sure, we had danced at the museum, but that was slow-dancing, not weird Mira-dancing. God, I wanted to melt into a puddle and just die.

"I thought it was cute." Louis chuckled, pressing a kiss to my lips. "Will you show me some moves sometime?"

"God, no. Never ever." I gushed, Louis only laughing before taking the duster out of my hand and setting it aside.

"On a more serious note, I have something I need to show you." Louis told me, taking my hand and leading me upstairs to my room. I followed silently, confused at to what could make Louis so serious all of a sudden. I was pulled towards my bed, both of us sitting on the still unmade covers.

Louis reached into his jacket pocket to pull out a piece of paper that was folded up. Upon closer inspection I saw that it in fact wasn't a piece of paper, but a photo. Louis' fingers quickly unfolded the old picture, handing it to me to see right after.

"...Louis, where did you get this?" I asked quietly, my hands starting to shake.

It was a picture of my family when I was only a baby. Mom was smiling and holding me close, Dad right behind her, and several people I didn't recognize surrounding them. The background was of the same exact city I had seen in my dream.