xxiii. Memory Keeper

Louis and I had walked home late from the movie night together, hand in hand. Louis had teased me about how my hands were shaking slightly from excitement the entire way, the fact that I had a special talent still not settling in for me yet.

It certainly explained why I could remember every time I had been in the hospital, why I never forgot Dad's birthday, why I never lost things. I could remember it all in perfect clarity, I just needed help for some of the older and foggy memories.

We had reached the cabin quickly, considering I began to tug on Louis' hand to go faster so we could try more memories out. Louis chuckled behind me as I tried to pull him, eventually hurrying his pace.

Dad had barely said hello from the couch and his war movie marathon before I led Louis up the flight of stairs to my room. Louis was a bit cautious of my sudden movements, eyes trained on my to see if I would get breathless or be in pain as a result. I felt perfectly fine though, sitting on the bed and patting the sheets next to me for Louis to sit.

I must have seemed a bit awkward when I just sat there for a few moments, my hands knotting themselves together.

"So...how exactly does this work?" I asked, Louis laughing before holding out his hands to me.

"This is how you do it." His hands took hold of mine, but nothing happened right away. My eyes shyly looked up to Louis, only to find his were closed. His teeth peeked out from between his thin lips, biting the bottom one as he concentrated.

I waited, and eventually it came.

My vision gradually began to turn white before changing into various other colors and shapes.

I was brought to the stargazing meadow, only this time, I was Louis. I saw everything he saw that night, felt everything he did.

I could feel his heart racing, his palms growing sweaty just from our proximity and his concentration struggling to stay focused on the stories of the heavenly stars above us as I hugged him a little closer. I could smell my favorite flowery fragrance on my jacket as Louis' arms encircled my waist, a blossoming feeling of warm growing in Louis' chest as he took a deep breath to enchant himself with my cherry blossom perfume again. His eyes shut as he kept talking, only this time about his powers. I felt the urge he felt to tell me all about him, like he had this need to tell me absolutely everything just to see the fascination in my eyes.

'You see what crazy things you do to me?' Louis' voice rang out inside my head before I was brought back abruptly to the present. I had to blink my eyes to clear them of the fog that had previously covered my sight, my head spinning a bit afterwards. My balance must have been off when I returned to the present, Louis' hands now on my arms to keep me steady.

"You alright?" He chuckled as I lazily blinked and smiled up at him. "You look a bit dazed."

"'M fine." I assured Louis, ignoring the slight ache in my head as I reached to hold his hands again. Louis seemed to take a bit longer in thinking of what to show me next, the same blinding fog appearing as the next memory came to me.

This time I wasn't in Louis' mind, only a passerby in the hectic and crowded building. Teenagers and adults of all ages dressed in light blue scrubs raced around the medical building, all kinds of people resting on beds and being ushered into rooms only adding to the crowd.

Louis was following one Asian girl in scrubs in particular through the crowd. Her hair was an inky black and plaited in a French braid that hung down the length of her back and her slender frame was emphasized by her slightly baggy scrubs. Her dark narrow eyes would look back ever so often to make sure Louis was following, yelling at him to keep pace whenever he slowed down too much.