lii. Protector

I soared through the skies on the thin metal of the stolen teleboard, speeding towards the golden tower at the edge of the Rift. I had to find a way to stop more Nox from coming in the Rift. Once I stopped that, everything else could be figured out. Minerva and everyone else could come up with a plan once the Nox invasion was stopped.

Only one problem: I had no idea how to do that. Everyone had told me how protectors were the ones that kept portals safe, but no one had actually told me how they did it. How on earth was I supposed to protect everyone if no one told me how? I suppose I could just make my personal barrier bigger, but I had never tried it before.

As I flew towards the Sanctuary, Louis crept into my thoughts. Did he know that Allister was here? Was he safe? I hoped so, I didn't have time to check the apartment and see if he was there. As I thought about it, I realized I didn't have to worry. Louis was far stronger than Allister, if they ever crossed paths, Louis would win. I didn't need to be afraid for him.

I couldn't find any traces of any unnatural activity in the Rift as I reached the steps of the Sanctuary, which to be honest was more scary than if the whole portal was burning to the ground. No flames, no screaming, all of that meant that Allister could've been planning this for weeks and we wouldn't have known until it was too late.

I quickly jumped off of the board and broke into a full sprint towards the doors when I reached the entrance to the Sanctuary. When I burst through the heavy doors, I was surprised to find people walking around doing their normal work. Luxiens were going about their normal lives like they were outside, carrying around books or having discussions with others. But that couldn't be right, Allister was here...he wouldn't leave this place functioning normally. Or would he?

Deciding to find out for myself if anything weird was going on, I walked up to a man carrying several books in his arms. He was unfazed as I blocked his way, my head still trying to wrap around the idea of everything going around me.

"Excuse me," I started, but froze when I saw his eyes. They were a washed out grey color, and the man's face was void of any expression when I stopped him. He only curiously tilted his head to the side and looked to me, my heart sinking when I recognized the look on his face. It was one that chilled me to the bone, one I had faced when the man had looked into the cabin's closet for Louis and me.

Allister had possessed him and who knows how many other people in the Sanctuary. He really was here.

"You are Mira Lane." The man spoke in a monotone voice as I slowly backed away from him. His hand darted out to tightly grip my arm, making me grimace in pain before I tried to get him off of me.

"Let me go!" I harshly said before pulling my sword from my arm and pointing it at the man. Allister's henchman didn't react the slightest bit, only kept his grip tight.

"Allister is expecting you." He said as he reached to his ear. I gasped when I saw a hidden microphone in his ear, hearing him speak just a moment later to whoever was on the receiving end. "I have apprehended Mira Lane, Master."

The person on the other end of the microphone spoke before the man holding me did.

"Understood." He only said before yanking me down a hall of the Sanctuary. I cried out and pulled my arm back, my heels digging into the floor so I could slow him down. I was about to use my telekinesis to get him off when I saw a familiar face at the end of the hall standing in front of a winding stairwell.

Imani.

I froze, allowing the man to take me to her. My eyes spotted a silver metal collar on her neck, but other than that she seemed normal. She couldn't have been possessed, please Fate tell me she wasn't.