xlvi. Visions

I had noticed dark storm clouds forming in the skies when I came home later that evening. I had said hi to Kaguya and Zayn when I saw them in the recreation room, Kaguya reading and Zayn drawing something on a pad of paper. I saw Imani was fast asleep on the couch, her mouth open and a tiny bit of drool escaping the corner as she was deep in sleep. I made my way up to Louis' and my apartment, using the extra key Louis had Zayn make for me to unlock the door.

I was about to call out to Louis that I was home when I saw him at the kitchen table, listening to music through earbuds. He was still in the t-shirt and sweatpants he had been wearing this morning, but his head wasn't seeming to bother him anymore. His back was to me, his right arm moving as he wrote something down. I saw rain beginning to pour down on the Rift through the windows in front of him, and I could hear a bit of thunder rumbling far away in the distance.

I set my bag with my other clothes on the couch, walking over to where Louis was hard at work. I came up behind him, taking one of his earbuds out. He jumped a bit from surprise before relaxing when I kissed his cheek.

"Good to see you up, handsome." I whispered into his ear, Louis turning around and taking the other earbud out. Blue eyes seemed a bit confused when he saw the blue dress and fancy jewelry I was wearing.

"Where did you get those?" He asked, pushing papers and books away from him as he turned around in his chair to face me.

"I figured I was a bit underdressed for the occasion, and Minerva's assistant helped me out with that." I shrugged before moving a bit closer to him, inhaling his rugged smell and kissing his lips. "I like it, what do you think?" I asked, giggling as I twirled around in a circle to let Louis get the full effect of me all dressed up.

"The dress is nice." He agreed, smiling a bit at me. "It matches your eyes." I smiled before looking over at his papers and books on the table.

"What have you been working on?" I asked as I moved one of the books closer, finding it was a book on talents opened up to a page on soul skipping.

"Been doing some research." Louis sighed before rubbing his eyes. "I was wondering if there was a weakness to Allister's talent that we could exploit when we fight him."

"Have you found anything?"

"No. The only way to not be possessed is to be a protector like you, or have a protector protect your mind." Louis mumbled, my arms wrapping around him and my chin resting on his shoulder like he had done to me so many times. Louis sighed again before smiling faintly at me.

"How was the meeting?" He asked casually, but deep inside me my heart dropped.

"Uh, it was good." I quickly answered before releasing Louis. If I touched him, Lou would want to see how the meeting went, and I had a feeling he wouldn't be too pleased with my behavior. I hurried to the fridge, Louis looking a bit confused at my erratic and sudden movements. I opened up the refrigerator and pretended to be scouring over the food and drinks inside.

"Well, can you show me? I don't want to be left out of what's going on." Louis asked, my palms growing sweaty as I stared at the almost empty fridge.

"Well, uh, we didn't actually finish the meeting today. It's going to finish tomorrow, I don't want to show you an incomplete meeting." I was just spouting nonsense now, my heart pounding and my hands shaking. What kind of person was I, lying to my soul mate?

The thunder outside sounded like it was getting closer, just like Louis was when the fridge door suddenly closed and I was faced with an annoyed boyfriend.

"Mira, I need to know what happened. Can you please just show me it? I don't care if the meeting will continue tomorrow." Louis sternly yet gently told me as I stood still and faced the fridge. He was controlling his temper well, if it were me, I probably would've been yelling now.