xlvii. Suspicion

Moonlight shone down on a sleepy little town in the middle of winter, snowflakes falling all around. For some reason I was standing in front of a fire station, only a few lights on inside the building. The garage door was open, a shiny red fire truck inside getting cleaned up by one of the firemen quietly. A sign nearly buried completely with snow in front of the fire station read 'Doncaster Volunteer Fire Station #9'.

I wondered why I was here, why my memory keeper talent decided to show me this. What did this have to do with me?

Just then, a flash of blue in front of the sign blinded me temporarily before it disappeared into thin air. I didn't waste time wondering what that was, because a tiny cry was heard in the cold and silent December night right after. I walked over to the sign cautiously, my eyes catching sight of a tiny baby swaddled in blue blankets crying loudly in the snow.

My mind pieced the puzzle pieces together quickly. Louis, this was Louis as a baby. I looked around to see if anyone would notice him crying all alone there, not seeing anyone coming over. Louis' cries grew louder and louder, and just when I was growing worried, the man who had been cleaning the fire truck came out of the garage.

He was dressed in jeans and a fire station t-shirt, a heavy overcoat keeping him warm from the freezing cold. The man looked around as Louis' crying continued, his eyes widening when he saw the poor baby just laying there in the snow. His boots made crunching sounds through the snow as he ran over to Louis, picking him up carefully and quickly holding him close inside his jacket to warm him up.

"Hey, it's ok. You're safe now, don't worry." The man assured Louis, keeping him close to his chest as he looked around the fire station.

"Hello?" He called out to no one. I wondered if he thought Louis was an abandoned baby, left at the local fire station by his mother for someone to find. Well, his assumptions were partly correct. "Is anyone there? Please, your child needs you!"

The poor man stood out there in the cold just waiting to see if someone would come and reclaim Louis, but when little Louis began to cry again from the cold, he gave up his yelling and took the baby inside. I followed him, watching as he carefully sat down on a chair inside the fire station, holding Louis in his arms.

"Did she leave some sort of note or something?" He mumbled to himself, carefully unwrapping the blankets from Louis' tiny body. There was a note tied to Louis' foot, one Louis' mother must have quickly created before she sent him into the vortex. The man carefully untied the string on the note from Louis' tiny foot before reading it aloud.

"His name is Louis William Tomlinson, he was born this Christmas Eve. Take good care of him, I no longer can. Thank you, J." The firefighter read out loud, taking a look at baby Louis once more. Louis' onesie had gotten wet from the snow, and his hands were cold when the man gently held them. Louis needed to get warm soon.

The firefighter bit his lip as made a decision that would change the rest of both his life and the tiny infant he held.

"Let's go home, Louis. We need to get you warmed up." The firefighter whispered as he swaddled the tiny child in his blue blankets again, carrying him to his car and carefully driving towards the firefighter's home, little Louis falling asleep as the man held him tight and drove.

I woke up to find it was still dark outside, my eyes catching sight of the alarm clock only reading 2:24 AM. I sighed and rubbed my sleepy eyes, hoping I would fall back asleep soon. My head turned to see Louis fast asleep next to me, lightly snoring. I snuggled closer to him, Louis making some sort of soft sound as I indulged in his body heat, burying my face into his chest.