chapter 30

I get to Jane’s room and slowly open the door. She turns to me quickly and I can hear her sigh as soon as she realizes that it’s just me. She hugs her stuffed animal close to her chest.

 I come closer and squat down next to her, “What happened?”

She holds her stuffed animal and shakes her head.

 “If you don’t tell me then I can’t stop him, and I want to stop him for you.”

She wiggles around a little, “A scary man tried to take me.”

I nod and then, “Did he say anything to you?”

She slowly nods her head, “He told me to come to him because he wanted fresh meat. And then he tried to grab me. I ran to Mommy but he almost got me.” I saw her eyes well up with tears and the first tear fell.

I nodded and then stood up, “It’s not safe up here by yourself, let’s go downstairs and you can stay with your brother while I fix this.” I extend my hand to her and she stood up and took my hand. We walked down the stairs together and then decided to tell Masky my plan. “I think what’s going to go down is I’ll call Toby to be my main helper. You’re going to stay here and protect your family.”

 “But I wanna go out there with you.”

I shake my head, “No, I need Toby out there with me. You need to be here and lock all the doors, close all the window and blinds, and make sure no one gets in. At any moment this creep could be sneaking into the house and try to kill your family, they need you here to protect them. Toby and I will be in trees so that we can see almost every corner of the house and we pounce if we have to. I’ll try to reason with him first, maybe read his mind and find out his purpose of doing all this crazy stuff. If I have to kill him I will.” 

With that, Masky didn’t say anything else. He just gave me a hug, a kiss, and told me good luck. I called Toby and told him to meet me at the cottage in the forest and by the time he got there the whole family was in the house and everyone knew of the plan. Toby and I head out of the house and climb up our own trees in order to see all corners. We both have or phones on and are talking back in forth when I see a tiny figure coming toward the house. “Toby,” I whisper, “Look, by the window.” I see Toby glance out and we watch as the man tries to look through the window.

 “I’m going in, stay up there in case I need you.” I jump down from the tree and the man turns around to face me. His messy beard and dark eyes tell me something weird is about to go down.

I hear him whisper, “Fresh meat.”

I tilt my head, “Why are you torturing these people?” 

“Come to me, I need your meat.” He takes a step closer.

I take a step back and put my hands out in front of me, “Don’t make me hurt you, I want to talk this out.”

He laughs, “Talk? There is nothing to talk about, I need to eat the young and you are just young enough. The girl in there is preferable but you are good enough.” He comes racing towards me but of course he’s no match for me. I quickly sprint to the opposite side of him.

“You’re messed up! Maybe I will kill you.”

He turns around to face me, “How?” And he sprints at me again, this time I see a knife in his hand.

I speed around him, “Toby!” I yell, “Get him down! He’s got a knife!”

Toby leaps out of the tree that he’s in and runs at the man. Toby throws himself at the man and ends up pinning him down. I quickly read his mind and see that he’s a cannibal but all he eats are young girls, most are under the age of 18. He’s wanted and insane.

“Cannibal, rapist, murderer, druggie, and a liar. He’s really dug himself into a hole. Toby it looks like we’re going to have to put this one down.”

Toby laughs a little as the man below him tries to wiggle out of his grip, “What are you a cop putting down a criminal?”

I laugh, “Nah, let him up. I’ll take him.”

Toby jumps off the man and he springs up. He looks around and once his eyes land on me he runs at me, without his knife. I uncross my arms and as soon as he gets close enough I jump onto his head and slam his face into the dirt. Once he gets up he runs at me again and I roundhouse kick him onto the ground once more. He stays lying on the ground and I yell, “If you really want me, you’re gonna have to come and get me and you can’t do that bleeding on the dirt.”

Toby yells, “Stop playing and kill him already!”

While I’m distracted by Toby I’m knocked onto the ground by this crazy cannibal. He spits in my face and claws my arms. I quickly bring my knees underneath him and jab them at his balls. He makes a painful cry and while he is distracted for the moment I place my feet against his chest and kick him off of me. The power of my kick sends him about seven feet away from me. I quickly stand up and get in a battle stance; I’ve survived too much to be taken down by this idiot. I don’t wait for him to run at me, I send flying icicles at him and they pierce him in the shoulder, not slowing him down. I eventually get tired of this game and form a blade of fire and cut off his head. He falls to the ground and let my sword burn out. I walk up to his head and kick it so hard it flies through the forest. I create the diamond and take the remaining life essence from his blood.

“The one fucking guy my dad misses on his nightly rounds is a psycho who almost killed me and Jane.” I mumble to myself as I put the diamond into its place. I stand up and set fire to the body. I watch as it burns and once the flames burn themselves out I go back to the house to check Masky’s family.