Chapter 4

ANABELLE’S P.O.V.

I climb up into the nearest tree to get the best view of the police men. They sip coffee while they lean against their cars and chat. All they’re doing in blocking the path from the forest. I laugh to myself and sit down on the tree limb. I check my phone and see that my friends and family have left me 4 voicemails and 17 texts, most from Masky. I run my hand through my hair and decide to put it up into a pony tail so it’ll stay out of my way. I close my eyes and rest my head on the tree trunk. My phone vibrates in my hands and I open one eye to see who it’s from. I bite my lip. It’s from Masky,

Come down from that tree.

I look around but I don’t see him. I text back, How do you know I’m in a tree? He quickly replies with,

Because I can see you. Come down here.

At last I see his messy black hair and I jump out of the tree. I walk up to him cautiously because of the police behind me. He runs up to me and kisses me then takes my hand to drag me to a safe area to talk. Once we’re safe he turns to me and smiles. I glare at him and turn to walk away but he snags my hand. I shake his hand off mine. I walk up to him and smack him. He falls back a bit but catches himself.

“What was that for?”

I cross my arms, “For not listening to my instructions!”

“I couldn’t just stay there.”

“Why not, it would’ve been easier for you anyway!”

“It wouldn’t be easier for me at all.” His voice remains calm.

“Well it would’ve been for me!” I yell but my voice shakes and I can feel tears begin to sting my eyes. He stands there holding his cheek in his hand. “I can’t risk you! My life isn’t worth yours too!” The first tear falls. “You needed to stay there.” I whisper because the tears won’t let me yell. I try to swallow my tears but they keep falling.

“I need you near me. Your life is worth so many others. You’ve saved so many lives in this past year.” He pulls me in a hug and I cry into his neck. “If you refuse to come back home, I’ll come with you wherever you’re going.” I cry and I nod my head so he knows that I agreed to him coming with me. I pull away from his hug and kiss him. I take his hand and we stand there kissing for a few minutes then I pull away, “I have to go to DC and convince them that I’m not going to kill everyone.”

“You think that’s gonna work?”

“I don’t know but that’s all I can think of right now.”

“It’s gonna take a while to get there, we’re on the West coast, it’s on the East coast. And we can’t really take public transportation without being caught.”

I smile, “Maybe we can.”